Toddler Helper Stool

DustinS

New User
Dustin
Well the client caused this project to take about 4 times longer than it should have but I finally finished a toddler helper stool for my 2 year old.

It's all walnut with the sides/supports being 3/4" and the platform at 1" thick. The platform is adjustable with wood tapping inserts or at least I think that's what they're called from 14" to 18".

The front legs are 90 degrees to the top with the back legs splaying out 6 degrees for extra support and to add a bit of room to spread the steps. It stands at 36-1/4" tall so it is just noticeable above the countertop.

All of the joints use dowels so it seems pretty sturdy. Once the platform is lowered to 14", then it rests on the supports so hopefully it should be able to hold a fair amount of weight then. It was sanded to 180 and finished with GF Arm-r-seal.

What i learned-
1) Big glueups like adding all of the cross supports simultaneosly needs a longer open time than Titebond 2. Maybe even polyurethane glue. I think there is 1 joint that started to set up and has a bit of gap due to this.
2) I still dont know how to sand for final finishing. I sanded everything to 150 before gluing. After glueup, I wiped some with a wet toothbrush, some I waited until it set up and then used a scraper and some I waited until it dried and then used a sharp chisel. None of these seemed particularly better but I think I preferred cleanup after the toothbrush. Then tried my best to get into the joints and corners with sandpaper and a final once over with 180. There are still some obvious issues around tight edges. Any suggestions here?

image_67158785.JPGimage_67178241.JPGimage_67174913.JPGimage_67201281.JPGimage_67237889.JPG

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Finish sand and apply finish before assembly, knowing there will be touch up required.

DustinS

New User
Dustin
So I thought about that but wasn’t sure what to do about the glue joint. Can I glue to the finished side since the dowels are still on non finished? Or do you tape it off?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Titebond 3 would probably give you the open time you’re looking for, however if that is not enough then Titebond dose make a wood glue with longer open time. You will have to go on their web site to find it and find who handles it. Now as far what you dealing with on cleaning up glue around your joints, well there are six ways from Sunday to tackle that. All the solutions that you have mentioned, taping off before your glue up, pre finishing and then glue up, or combinations of. They all are great solutions, it really is up to you, to find the one that you like the best. That’s one of the things I like about woodworking, it’s a learning experience every time.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors