to the farmers on here

TBoomz

New User
Ron
I'm planning on rebuilding a small disc harrow. [Something to pull behind my farmall 140.] The wood bearing inserts have gone missing and I'd like to replace them. Can't find out [online] what species of wood they'd be most likely made of or how they are turned - parallel with the grain or cross grain? The wood, as I remember, is tight grain, light in color and weight. Am figuring a domestic wood....any suggestions.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Since Lignum vitae is hard to find and expensive I would use Ipe. It is readily available but you might luck out and find some deck builders with cut-off scraps.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
thx, was thinking perhaps dogwood, but after my property was logged, they took anything of size. I can see where Elm's interlocking grain would work well for hubs. The cast iron bearings have zerks, so no need of an oily wood. How easy does elm turn? I've a Corky Elm tree I could cut.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Up in WI they used to make them out of tamarack and turned parallel. But I remember you never put them in the first year they were made for some reason. They had a whole boatload of tamarack back then though so that might have just been out of convenience. I did see some folks use white oak on their replica/restored drags and harrows.

Down here I'd imagine it would be about the hardest wood that grows in the area and wouldn't swell with tallow applied so that makes me think of hickory.

Just spit balling there.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here you go: Homepage

IIRC they were in the news and the whole story was quite interesting.
Bearings for water treatment plants, ships etc.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Or Curumu Wood about the same hardness of IPE but is an waxier wood naturally, little bit like Teak

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here you go: Homepage

IIRC they were in the news and the whole story was quite interesting.
Bearings for water treatment plants, ships etc.
I know these guys. Their inventory is jaw-dropping amazing but for the purpose here, lignum vitae may not be better than some other choices since most lignum vitae bearing installs will use water as a lubricant.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors