To: all you spoon carvers

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I haven't used either of the Moraknivs but I have used similar styled Slyod knives. I prefer to use a shorter blade for better control while carving.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Plan on packing these in your checked baggage unless you wish to donate them to the TSA

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Plan on packing these in your checked baggage unless you wish to donate them to the TSA
Thank you - I have a "pelican case" (HFT) for knives, chisels etc..

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Here are the two that I use the most. The top one is a Mora. I think it's the 120. Not sure about the other one; I've had it for quite a while. I use the Mora for heavy cutting and the other one for detail work. I think just about any good knife will work fine. Just comes down to personal preference and what you're used to.

Attachments

• Knives.png
    Knives.png
    863.8 KB · Views: 109

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Go with the 106. The longer, thiner blade is better for slicing and it gets into the curves better.
Thanks - I thought that at first and then I thought, hmmm maybe the shorter blade give you better control...

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here are the two that I use the most. The top one is a Mora. I think it's the 120. Not sure about the other one; I've had it for quite a while. I use the Mora for heavy cutting and the other one for detail work. I think just about any good knife will work fine. Just comes down to personal preference and what you're used to.
Thanks @PeteM I have two of the lower version (two cherries I think) but there are lots of knock-offs of that style out there - I have contributed 0.001 to NCWW through the Smile.amazon.com purchase of a $25 item! LOL

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Shameless, Shameless plug but you know you can get these at your local Klingspor's Woodworking Shop store....

or online at:
Search

Just in case you didn't know that we carried this awesome line of products!

Happy Woodworking!

Coleman
I did not know you have these. I used to order 2 dozen at a time to have for students.
Do you also have the curved spoon knives?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Someone asked for an update or "review" on the Morakniv... maybe that was on FB, not sure...
I DID take my "kit" with me this week on my trip to Texas...

I did not have time to saw out a blank, so I just cut off a lump of wood.. Cherry I think...

IMG_7449.JPG

I took it from that to this in under an hour I think with the Mora 106 @Mike Davis suggested...
IMG_7462.JPG

I thought I was really pleased, but noticed this when I stopped to strop the knife
IMG_7450.JPG

Here is a close-up, it looks like a small inclusion in the metal or a delamination.
I ordered a replacement from Amazon and it showed up today!

I have a trip scheduled for the week of the 28th and hope to have a go at it then with a future update!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
On another note - I took my Knew Concepts saw with me to cut the blank, but the blade pulled out of the holder twice and eventually bent the blade so bad, I couldn't put it back into the holder. (you can see in the first picture above the start of the saw cut, I blew it up below

This is 3/4+ wood thickness and this is as far as I got before I gave up with the saw...
Guessing the blade is too fine, I plan to get different blades and try again...

1647645866631.png

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That looks to be a dry black, that makes it a little harder to carve. Green wood pro, it’s easier to hog out more wood faster, con you have to let it dry. Dry wood pro once carved you can finish and use no drying time, con slower carving a little more wear on the tools and hands. A little tip on the saw is to lightly sand the ends of the blade before installing it. A fine tooth line is helpful in hardwoods but perhaps a heavier gauge blade would be a better choice.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Someone asked for an update or "review" on the Morakniv... maybe that was on FB, not sure...
I DID take my "kit" with me this week on my trip to Texas...

I did not have time to saw out a blank, so I just cut off a lump of wood.. Cherry I think...

View attachment 209373

I took it from that to this in under an hour I think with the Mora 106 @Mike Davis suggested...
View attachment 209374

I thought I was really pleased, but noticed this when I stopped to strop the knifeView attachment 209375

Here is a close-up, it looks like a small inclusion in the metal or a delamination.
I ordered a replacement from Amazon and it showed up today!

I have a trip scheduled for the week of the 28th and hope to have a go at it then with a future update!
I have never seen one do that before. Did you send it back? If not I would like to have a good look at it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS