Tip for resetting bandsaw fence

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've taken to doing more ripping on the 18" bandsaw I have. It's especially useful for resawing lumber. One downside is that adjusting the fence is not as easy nor as repeatable as the table saw. It usually doesn't matter since I'm going to run the board through the planer afterwards. However, for ripping veneer the tolerances are much tighter and I won't be planing it afterwards. It usually takes some trial and error to get back to 1/16", or whatever thickness I need.

To help with this I milled an aluminum stop collar to fit around the fence support rod. I adjusted this to the "zero" position, where the fence is against the blade, and locked it in place. With this as a reference point I can make guide blocks of the width I want to rip, drop one next to the collar and slide the fence against it. No more measuring. In a few seconds I have the saw ready to rip. The one shown is made to set the fence for ripping 1/16" (accounting for the added thickness of the resaw fence). The little magnet keeps it on the side of the bandsaw's frame at the ready.

IMG_4056.JPG
IMG_4057.JPG

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Ingenious. I don't have the capability of machining metal, but maybe I can make a hardwood stop block in 2 pieces and slip it around the fence support rod. Then I'll just lay brass set up bars on the rod and slide the fence support collar over to match the thickness I want to resaw.

spitzerone

New User
Gary
I've taken to doing more ripping on the 18" bandsaw I have. It's especially useful for resawing lumber. One downside is that adjusting the fence is not as easy nor as repeatable as the table saw. It usually doesn't matter since I'm going to run the board through the planer afterwards. However, for ripping veneer the tolerances are much tighter and I won't be planing it afterwards. It usually takes some trial and error to get back to 1/16", or whatever thickness I need.

To help with this I milled an aluminum stop collar to fit around the fence support rod. I adjusted this to the "zero" position, where the fence is against the blade, and locked it in place. With this as a reference point I can make guide blocks of the width I want to rip, drop one next to the collar and slide the fence against it. No more measuring. In a few seconds I have the saw ready to rip. The one shown is made to set the fence for ripping 1/16" (accounting for the added thickness of the resaw fence). The little magnet keeps it on the side of the bandsaw's frame at the ready.

View attachment 220950 View attachment 220951

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You may want to get a patent of that. Someone will steal the idea and make a boatload of cash on it. Since this is your idea, I'd prefer that you are the one to make the boat load of cash. :)
Ever try to get a patent? Talk to Douglas Roberson, if memeory serves me correct, he used to do this type work.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ever try to get a patent?
Actually, I'm a co-inventor on about eight of them ;-). All of these are software and/or process patents that were filed through IBM. I've never tried to pursue one in another category. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll reach out to Doug and see what he suggests. I do know it can be expensive on your own.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim, very innovative as well as useful! While I personally do not hold a patent, when I was a Department Head at NC State, I had several faculty whose work resulted in patents, some of them very commercially successful (lucrative). In my experience, getting the patent wasn't the problem, defending it was the challenge. The more lucrative the invention the more others want to rip you off.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Slick idea. Simple and effective.
As for the patent - like you, all my previous ones were paid for by the various companies I worked for.
The recent one I did for the reverse clock mechanism cost about $2000 all in, including having the USPTO do the background search.
PM me for additional info.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Ingenious. I don't have the capability of machining metal, but maybe I can make a hardwood stop block in 2 pieces and slip it around the fence support rod. Then I'll just lay brass set up bars on the rod and slide the fence support collar over to match the thickness I want to resaw.
I have some small pieces of acetal that would work as well. PM me if you are interested Wiley.

rfeeser

New User
Update your profile with your name
Since all band saw blades do not all cut at a consistent angle and can even change with wear, this adjustment is frequently required. I set the saw blade to cut parallel to an existing fence by tilting the upper wheel slightly, since the tire has a crown. Small adjustments are easy to make with the tilt adjuster. You soon get a feel for the adjustment that makes it a very quick process.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors