Throw out the T-square

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have an elliptical mirror that has a really ugly metal frame from back in the 1960's or thereabouts. I'd like to make a wood frame, but need some advice and suggestions. I have some pics and dimensions in a folder on my desktop, but can't figure out how to add them to this post. Help please. :dontknow:

Many thanks in advance.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Go out in the back yard, find a nice little tree of some kind of hard wood, maple or cherry perhaps. Find a fork in the branch that is spread out wide but still very young, maybe 3/8 inch branches. Place the mirror in the fork and bind the branches around the mirror so it will grow together and make a solid frame.

Or if you are the impatient type, trace the mirror on a flat piece of hard wood, overlap the mirror by 1/4 to 5/16 inch, cut out on a scroll saw one piece with the cutout and one solid for the back. Cut a groove in the front piece so the mirror will fit between them. Shape, sand and glue the two pieces together. Don't forget to put the mirror in before the glues sets up. Apply your favorite finish after the glue dries.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks folks. I'm considering the former idea as a possibility. Maybe add some 10-10-10 fertilizer so the tree will grow faster? Maybe it'll break the darn glass and I'll no longer have to deal with it.

How do I add 3 pics within this posted thread? :rotflm:

Thanks again.

M

McRabbet

Jeff,

You need to upload the pictures to your Photo Gallery from your desktop since attached photos are not allowed (they cause problems and can only be used once that way). You've uploaded before, so I won't lead you through that process. Once you have them in your gallery, open a separate window for the thread that you want (this one, I guess) and start your new post. Switch to the Gallery window and select the thumbnail you want and click on it to enlarge. Scroll down to the Direct Links below the picture (it may say "BBCode Links"). If you want "Best Size" for your 3 pictures, click on the contents of the link box to highlight the code. Press CTRL-C to copy that link to the Windows Clipboard. Switch to the Thread window. Click at the point in your text where you want to insert the picture and click once to set the insertion point. If the Instructions in your Gallery said "Direct Links", click on the Insert Image Icon (yellow with mountain and sun) and when the insertion window opens, press CTRL-V to paste the clipboard with the link and press OK. (If your instructions said "BBCode Links", do not use the Insert Image Icon, just press Ctrl-V to paste the link code into your message.

If you want to display a thumbnail that expands to a medium picture when clicked by a reader, cut and paste the bottom-most Link code into your thread using the two windows as above. Here are those two methods used with your Shop Buddies:

Onyx_Duke.jpg
is the Best Size

and here is the linked Thumbnail:

Hope this helps...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
There was one oval frame mill left in America some 15-20 years ago last time I checked. The machines are not exactly like a standard lathe. They run a little slow and require great skill to operate. More of a scraping process than turning. I looked into building one, even took a machinist course to have access to the tools and learn the skills to build it. Time, money and home life killed that project.

This is one project where I would use a router. I have built some elaborate frames before and it's really not so hard.

When I first read this thread I was thinking of a small oval hand mirror. Maybe you're talking about a wall mirror instead?

What size is the mirror?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The mirror is 20" x 14". I envision making the elliptical frame 24" x 18" so it'll be 2" wider all around. The back lip to support the mirror will be 19" x 13" (like a picture frame). I can lay out all three ellipses with a trammel, but I'm not clear how to cut/shape the back lip. Some sort of router template with a top or bottom bearing bit came to mind, but my router expertise is pretty limited as I'm just learning. How about a 20" x 14" template out of 1/4 or 1/2 plywood or MDF?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I made some of these long ago, I made the frame as smooth and fluid as possible then use a rabbit bit just following the edge of the frame. In other words, glue up the rough frame, cut the outside shape, sand smooth and make curves flow, transfer the curve to the inside of the frame, rough cut close to the line, set up router to cut inside edge, finally install rabbit bit and follow inside edge.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
The lathe I saw was in a large , old shop in the Boston area with lots of pulleys, shafts, and 5" leather belts. Amazing place.

Jeff

Jeff

New User
Jeff
When I made some of these long ago, I made the frame as smooth and fluid as possible then use a rabbit bit just following the edge of the frame. In other words, glue up the rough frame, cut the outside shape, sand smooth and make curves flow, transfer the curve to the inside of the frame, rough cut close to the line, set up router to cut inside edge, finally install rabbit bit and follow inside edge.

Thanks for the guidance. I just happen to have a set of rabbeting bits which I've never used. The smallest bearing guide allows a 1/2" depth of cut so that should work perfectly. I'll probably make a prototype as a test piece. :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS