Thread chasers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
I've been looking everywhere for them. I can find them but they're either being sold offshore or trying to sell entire sets or kits which I don't need and cost more than I want to spend.

I've got one project I need cut 16tpi threads on for the time being and the availability for 16tpi chasers seem dried up at the moment.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
the last one I got a 12 tpi came from amazon and when I got it I sae a square that had different sizes on it

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
Why in the fart would I inquire about fixing threads on screws in the woodturning forum or on a woodworking website at all?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
16 tpi is kinda fine for wood.

so, you are looking for a set of inside and outside lathe type wood thread chasers?

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Since you want for only one project, buy a bolt of desired thread, grind grooves along it's length, make it look like a tap, hold with a pair of vise grips. You have a thread chaser. If you need the other orientation: take a nut, slice out a section, and do the same. This is not pretty but functional. Clean and sharpen threads with needle files and/or Dremel stones.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Why in the fart would I inquire about fixing threads on screws in the woodturning forum or on a woodworking website at all?

Because MOST of us are helpful and work in multiple mediums - "To be a good woodworker you need to understand how to work with metal first" - anonymous

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
16 tpi is kinda fine for wood.

so, you are looking for a set of inside and outside lathe type wood thread chasers?

Actually 16tpi is the most popular and is sold out in most places except for the kits wanting to sell you the gauge, the chasers and another item or two.

And yes sir.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bill, I'm not sure what you're asking about, and if you want something for wood or metal threaded items.

To me, a "thread chaser" is a device for cleaning up damaged threads (as opposed to a die which is designed to cut new threads). I have some that look like nuts but they are fabricated as a hybrid die that cleans up damaged threads. You simply run then over the male threaded item and they will clean up the treads.

I also have other chasers that are designed to be more universal and can be used on pipe thread or standard bolts.

McMaster sells individual nut style thread chasers for a couple of bucks.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thread-chasers/=ytt81l

Is this what you're looking for or something different?

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
Since you want for only one project, buy a bolt of desired thread, grind grooves along it's length, make it look like a tap, hold with a pair of vise grips. You have a thread chaser. If you need the other orientation: take a nut, slice out a section, and do the same. This is not pretty but functional. Clean and sharpen threads with needle files and/or Dremel stones.

If I still had ready access to a milling machine I would make them myself. I'm so tired of taking the time to make tools. The more time I spend making tools, the longer it takes to finish the actual project. Making tools is what I'm trying to get away from. Not to mention being a machinist for 20+ years "not pretty" is unacceptable.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
Because MOST of us are helpful and work in multiple mediums - "To be a good woodworker you need to understand how to work with metal first" - anonymous

I was a professional automotive and industrial machinist for 20+ years and have a degree in Mechanic Engineering.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
Bill, I'm not sure what you're asking about, and if you want something for wood or metal threaded items.

To me, a "thread chaser" is a device for cleaning up damaged threads (as opposed to a die which is designed to cut new threads). I have some that look like nuts but they are fabricated as a hybrid die that cleans up damaged threads. You simply run then over the male threaded item and they will clean up the treads.

I also have other chasers that are designed to be more universal and can be used on pipe thread or standard bolts.

McMaster sells individual nut style thread chasers for a couple of bucks.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#thread-chasers/=ytt81l

Is this what you're looking for or something different?

I have lots of those.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Packard Woodworks sells a 2-piece 16 tpi set for cutting both inside and outside threads. But they don't sell sell individual cutters. Short of finding the specific single tool you are looking for on ebay that's about all I see. At least they have them. Their price is what I paid for mine (from them).

Edit - didn't see the earlier posts saying they were out. Sorry.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill,
I am guessing you have tried Klingspore and Woodcraft?

I know the one here in Greenville SC, usually has a set of tools in stock - but maybe there was a run on them?!

(I was laughing so hard when you posted the link to Amazon and the you-Tube link!)
That is what I was first thinking you wanted - but when the discussion "turned" to thread chasers... :rotflm:

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
Bill,
I am guessing you have tried Klingspore and Woodcraft?

I know the one here in Greenville SC, usually has a set of tools in stock - but maybe there was a run on them?!

(I was laughing so hard when you posted the link to Amazon and the you-Tube link!)
That is what I was first thinking you wanted - but when the discussion "turned" to thread chasers... :rotflm:

When I first started hunting the tools, cutters didn't yield the results. It was through searching for the tools I found that people where calling them chasers, not cutters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS