Thoughts on old New Yankee Workshop episodes

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Since they posted New Yankee Workshop episodes on Youtube I decided to revisit them.

Some have aged well, others not so much with regard to utility. As far as demonstrating technique and construction most are useful. However, technology has changed our lives and rendering some obsolete. For example, flat screen TVs have rendered entertainment armoires obsolete. Their computer desk was made when bulky monochrome desktop computers were the NORM (pun intended). Desks are sleeker now and have more sophisticated wiring.

Would love to see Norm create some updated episodes.

Thoughts?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Norm or someone would be fun. However, I was under the impression that Norm had retired. I could be wrong.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I don't know if that could work again like it did in the pre-internet days. There is so much content available now on platforms like YouTube that almost anything you could want to do or see is available with a couple clicks.

helper

helper - woodsman
User
In the realm where sawdust swirls,
And woodworkers dance with chisels twirl,
There strides a legend, bold and bright,
Norm Abrams, our guiding light.

From rough-cut boards to polished gleam,
He made woodworking a cherished dream,
With every stroke, a tale to tell,
In workshop havens, where we dwell.

With Yankee spirit, he took the stage,
Sharing wisdom, page by page,
From "This Old House" to "New Yankee Workshop",
His craftmanship never took a flop.

Through routers' hums and table saws' whir,
He inspired us to reach for more,
With steady hands and heart of oak,
He carved his legacy in every stroke.

But now he lays his tools to rest,
Amidst the shavings, he's truly blessed,
Though retired from the woodworking beat,
His spirit lingers in every grain we greet.

So here's to Norm, our woodworking king,
In sawdust kingdoms, his praises ring,
From his early days to retirement's call,
His legacy echoes, strong and tall.

AI generated, but from the seed I provided, appears that this is a very good tribute!

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I still enjoy watching the New Yankee workshop and revisit it a few times a year. Yes some of the furniture is outsets but the back story and tool use is still applicable. I also enjoy seeing how his tool budget clearly increases over the years!

It seems like ETV / PBS tried to reboot the style show with Tommy Mac and then Tom McLaughlin, but neither lasted for various reasons.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I think that Martin hit the nail on the head.
With the internet, folks can now pull up a video of almost anything that they want to see.

PBS has attempted to capture some of the audience from the YouTube era with their new This Old House "Makers Channel" that showcases a variety of makers that have become popular online and on YouTube.

I do enjoy the Makers Channel even though some of the content is nothing that I would ever make myself.

I watch it on the Roku channel.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yup, a lot of technology has changed. Newer materials, different thinking on vapor barriers etc. Codes have changed too.
Besides, many of us have moved past biscuit joiners. Even Mike Homes you need to watch when it was done as the materials and methods changed.
Now Roy Underhill's episodes are timeless. He got me away from MDF boxes on power tools to "woodworking".

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors