This Really Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Last week I ordered a veneer vacuum pump kit from Veneer Supply. I had the time over the weekend to put it together and this is the finished product. I chose the air operated venturi style and this size will easily support a 4x8 foot vacuum bag. The parts do not look like much, but this is a very powerful and efficient pump. I opted for 4" tanks instead of the 3" recommended, giving me much more capacity thus allowing the pump to cycle less. The first time I turned it on, it pulled a 21" vacuum and cut off so quickly that I thought it was not working until I noticed the gauge. If any of you have any interest in vacuum veneering or clamping, there is a wealth of great information on their website. www.veneersupplies.com

Attachments

• for sale 027.jpg
    for sale 027.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 166

nelsone

New User
Ed
Sweet! I want to take a shot at doing some veneer work, so one f those may be in my future at some point!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Dino,

Your system looks great. I am in the midst of making a EVS system. I obtained a Robinair 6 CFM pump from a fellow locally who is retiring from the HVAC business for $50.00. I was given the PVC to make the reserviors so at least that much has been fairly cheap. The rest of the system is being bought kinda piece meal style so it is not so much money going out of the business at one time. I will undoubtably buy the bag, mac valve, etc from Joe. I did find braided hose at Lowes for $ .60 a foot and got 10 ft of it.

Questions: How did you tap the end caps, ( pipe tap or use the brass fittings)?

Did you buy his bag or make your own?

Wish I had the system operational as I have a job coming up to redo an antique table with Rosewood veneer. The veneer alone cost $305.00 so I don't want to make a boo boo if you know what I mean. I have had fair success in the past using the iron on method but still want to get the bag system up and running soon.

Keep us informed as to how your system works. If I had a bigger compressor, I might have opted to go with the venturi system also.

Mike

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That really is a gloat that is suck worthy. I look forward to seeing what come out of it.
Dave:)

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Mike,

I used a 1/4" pipe tap to make the threads. Got it a little off center on one of them, but it didn't really hurt anything. Once I got it completed and pulled a vacuum, the pump has held the 21" reading for two days without leaking a bit. Guess I got lucky there. I bought the bag from a friend who upgraded. It is a 49"x49" heavy poly bag made by VacuPress. I don't think I will need anything larger for the time being. Good luck with yours and if I can help, let me know.

Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors