This is Scott Smith's fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
At least that's what I'm telling my wife when she gets back to town....

I was talking to Scott last week about getting a shaper vs. building a decent router table. What he said made a lot of sense (usually does), this is the result. Seems like whenever my wife goes out of town I spend a lot more $$ on some new shop item than I probably should have. OTOH, this was a great use for the Corian countertop that I saved from the island in the kitchen when we put in granite.

I've only done a few test cuts so far, but already am soooo glad I went this route. I was considering a shaper because I got so turned off to router tables by the lift that came with my old Jet cabinet saw- it was such an extreme pain to set up and use that I rarely did. The Woodpecker lift (Sidewinder) and the Incra fence (LS Super System) are so easy and accurate they're fun to use instead of a nuisance. This also was the first chance I've had to use the Paolini bench rules I got from Woodpecker; these are simply beautiful in both concept and quality of manufacture. All of the components I used were all made in USA, and are of an exceptional quality you just don't often see any more; the kind of thing that makes "Made in the USA" proud.

Total $$ spent including a new router was around $700 (not including the Pinnacle sled, I've had that for some time). For now it's just clamped to the top of my table saw, next project will be building a cabinet base.

On a separate note, I was amazed at how easy the Corian was to work with. It cut and routed beautifully, and checking with a straight edge showed it was extremely flat with no evident bowing or irregularities.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
That is a really nice setup, Brian!

(I have a next door neighbor who I assisted in routing out his RT top for a Jessm plate and lift yesterday as a matter of fact. When he pulled out the Incra Super fence to install, I was blown away!!!:wsmile:)

You are gona really enjoy the setup!

Wayne

(BTW....What kind of miter fence is that with the extruded aluminum? )

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
(BTW....What kind of miter fence is that with the extruded aluminum? )

That's a Pinnacle Premium Coping Sled. I picked it up from the classifieds here a year or two ago, it didn't work well for what I had in mind at the time but is perfect for this so it's no longer collecting dust.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Brian, that really came out great! You can use me for an "excuse" with Lori any time (as long as you don't mind if I do the same with Laureen!).

Reggie, Mike: I can't believe that y'all would say such unkind things....... <grin>

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
Brian, that really came out great! You can use me for an "excuse" with Lori any time (as long as you don't mind if I do the same with Laureen!).

Reggie, Mike: I can't believe that y'all would say such unkind things....... <grin>

No problem.. careful what you wish for though, considering our relative professions. Scott->tools, Brian->root canals....
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors