Thinking about making a Cat Tree

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
We've been feeding the cat on top of the washing machine and the German Shepherd keeps jumping up there and stealing her food. So I thought I might make a tall cat tree with a platform up high to feed her on. Needs to be sturdy or anchored to the wall to keep the dog from knocking it over.

Any ideas on design or tips on how to construct it are appreciated. I'm thinking just 2x lumber as it will mostly be covered with indoor/outdoor carpet and the wood will not be visible.

Just in the thinking stage at this point.

Darl Bundren

Allen
Senior User
Maybe a series of small cat-appropriate shelves that lead up to the food platform? Mount them with french cleats. Ooooh, you could also make one of them a box for Kitty to snooze in when the dog's being an ass.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Easiest way to keep it from tipping is to anchor it to a stud in the wall. Or just make ledges up the wall that the cat can jump to.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just built the cat tree below out of cedar (outdoor use) for a customer. It is 6 feet high and 3 feet x 3 feet at the base.

PXL_20240214_143433471.jpg

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Hmmm. Cat tree huh? Well, what kind of glue would you use? Just kidding Ken. Glad to see you back in a shop after the move

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe a series of small cat-appropriate shelves that lead up to the food platform? Mount them with french cleats. Ooooh, you could also make one of them a box for Kitty to snooze in when the dog's being an ass.
That's a good idea as the floor space in the laundry room is pretty much all used up. The only available wall space is an outside log wall so anchoring the shelves shouldn't be much of a problem.

prototype3a

Drew
User
I've been trying to source the "sissal carpet" that is used on many commercial cat trees off and on for several years with no real luck.

Several years ago, I built a cat-tree-post using pieces and parts from various commercial options combined with my own framework made from scraps. If you have BIG cats like we do, I understand the desire to anchor it to a wall. Occasionally, our cats knock over my post despite it having a surprisingly large base.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've been trying to source the "sissal carpet" that is used on many commercial cat trees off and on for several years with no real luck.

Several years ago, I built a cat-tree-post using pieces and parts from various commercial options combined with my own framework made from scraps. If you have BIG cats like we do, I understand the desire to anchor it to a wall. Occasionally, our cats knock over my post despite it having a surprisingly large base.
Not so worried about the cat tipping it over, but the Shepherd when she tries to get to where the food will be. The Shepherd can jump about 6' in the air as evidenced by the nose marks on the back sliding glass door.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Ken, we also feed our cats on top of the washer. Luckily, our 3 dogs haven't figured out the jump up for a snack idea.

Below are some floating shelves I made for our cats. We have tongue and groove walls behind the drywall, so 3-4 kreg pocket holes were plenty to hold them up with a 3" screw. They've been up at least a year and are holding tight.

Sounds like you have a good wall for something similar. You could make one a little oversized to feed from. They seem to appreciate the carpet scraps when jumping/landing for extra grip or the occasional cat nap.

Attachments

• 20240311_205405.jpg
    20240311_205405.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 20240311_205409.jpg
    20240311_205409.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors