Thick walnut needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I could use some dry walnut - 22" long x 5.5" wide x 3.5" thick finished dimension for crest rails on DR chairs I'm making. Qty 8 needed.

I realize it's a long shot but thought maybe somebody would have something since I can use short lengths.

I have plenty of 8/4 walnut but the grain is cathedral and it is going to be kinda tough to match up if I laminate. As a fall back I could use something a little thinner and laminate the crest rail if the grain is straight to help hide the glue line.

Chuck

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Good luck. I tried to find some 12/4 last year. None seems to be available. A lot of the exotics are available but not walnut. Let us know if you find any.

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
just saw this on Greensboro craiglist - posting was still there as of this message -
[h=2]4" thick Black Walnut Lumber - $180 (Bassett, VA)[/h]
4" thick Black Walnut Slab
This would be great to cut into lumber, or to use for fireplace mantles
12 feet long x 9 inches wide x 4 inches thick
I am selling for $180, which is $5 bd/ ft
You can not beat this price, most people sell 1" thick walnut at 5 bd/ft,
Lumber at this thickness runs at least $10 bd/ft and up
I can send photos if interested
If this posting is still here, then the lumber is still available

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Try Calico Custom Lumber. Located on Hwy 43 about 20 miles east of Greenville at the intersection of Hwy 102. He is a custom sawyer who has an ever-changing inventory. I have seen some really thick walnut in his stash, about 10" X 10" and 8' long. And some thinner stuff. Phone 252-746-6807. Good luck.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Try Calico Custom Lumber. Located on Hwy 43 about 20 miles east of Greenville at the intersection of Hwy 102. He is a custom sawyer who has an ever-changing inventory. I have seen some really thick walnut in his stash, about 10" X 10" and 8' long. And some thinner stuff. Phone 252-746-6807. Good luck.

I picked up a 16/4 slab from Calico Lumber that will supply the crest rails for 6 chairs. Picked up a spare 12/4 in case I screw up on one of the pieces. :gar-Bi

John's a nice guy to deal with.

Below, CJ is helping me rip the slab down for dimensioning.

IMG_5039.jpg

View image in gallery

Here's a pic of the dimensioned pieces for the first 4 chairs.

Chuck

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, those are some impressive hunks of walnut!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS