The start of the new Entertainment Credenza

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToeNailer

New User
Jim
Well....two years into the house and the TV is still sitting on the A/V cart (which I really do miss in the shop!). I've had the 4/4 cherry for about two years, and picked up an 8/4 board from East Wake. The top is something special....piced up some 5/4 Walnut, two 19" boards w/ some sapwood rot on the edges...got a great price...they are book matched......won't use all of it.

Well...I got started last weekend....

Here is the link to the album.....Cherry Entertainment Credenza
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1157&ppuser=0

Thanks for looking....comments are welcome.....

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, that's a whole lotta mortising. Did you use a horizontal mortiser or router? (The mortises are so clean.)

I like the leg design and I look forward to seeing what you do on the face and with the top. I think it's going to be a pretty darn cool piece when you're done.

I thought at first that some of the mortises and dovetailed areas were a little too close to the edges but changed my mind after looking at the F&P details. That's gonna be a stout frame/carcass after glue-up.

It looks like you've done your homework on this piece.

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ditto Chuck's comments!!

You got a picture or a drawing you can share of what the final piece will look like?

ToeNailer

New User
Jim
Chuck; I thought the same thing with the distance to the edge of the rail with the dovetails.....I actually think my test piece for depth of the dovetail bit was off a bit! But I think it might work out.

The mortises were cut with an up-cut spiral bit. 3/8" for loose tenons and 1/4" for the panels. I used the plunge router on the tapered legs and the router table for all the others. It went exceedingly well. This is the first time I've done that many and it was a breeze. Having made a working template for the legs made things very easy on setting up stop blocks on the router table.

The leg design and actual overall design were inspired from a piece the wife found on a website. http://www.greendesigns.com/ I am building the 84" (or so) entertainment center. I have drawn out each joint area on graph paper and have tried to do my homework and not get surprised, but there's always some working/design issues! But hey....that puts more fun into this project!
Put a pic in the album link on the final design.
I started finishing the panels, I am stuck until I can actually start assembling some of this and I want the panels done before making the mid section and ends. Will post some pics and an update soon.
Thanks for the comments.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Now it makes sense!

You are at what I call the "jigsaw puzzle stage". You have lots of parts with lots of joints cut and doing all of the things to get to assembly.

ToeNailer

New User
Jim
Travis that is it exactly! Holy Cow lots of assembly and de-assembly and then reassembly just to figure out how to make another part!!!!!

Going good though!

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
That's going to be a great addition to the house, Nice job so far and keep that progress and pictures comming.

BarryC

New User
Barry
Looks like it will be a thing of beauty. Keep posting pics as you go. I need to build something similar and need all the ideas and thought I can beg borrow or steal.

ToeNailer

New User
Jim
Travis....thanks for the bump.....took a week off the project to go help a friend remodel his bathroom......getting back to things....

Glued up the sides...and am starting some scraping now before the next puzzle pieces get glued up.

Will have some of the last parts to be made for the carcass done this weekened.

While away at my friends, my lovely wife was telling him about the credenza and the drawer in the middle.....!!!!! What drawer I said........so...now there's a drawer to be made! hehehehe no real problem, but wasn't expecting it at all.......

Will have some new pics to post this weekend.

Jim

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Looking good. Why are your panels darker than your frame? What cha going to do for the top? Are you doing doors or drawers on the front?

ToeNailer

New User
Jim
Travis....the panels are already finished w/ 4 coats of tung oil. Wanted to do them, even though they are ply (mdf core), before assembly.

The top is going to be walnut. There is a door on either side and a small drawer in the center unit at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS