The Odd Tape Measures

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Over the years, I have bought hundreds of Tape Measures , (you know you really never own them, they are just rentals). They disappear or get damaged, stolen, kited or lost.

Anyway, I have kept a couple for near 45 years and still have them. But, there are two I find most amusing.

The first is my stainless tape with a pock holed case. Just randomly cool, they still sell it so this is still available.

The second is the US Tape that is a long sorta rectangle. Fun to use but definitely odd.

The last one is my Klein, nothing really different but I like the layout of the tape when breaking down stock. It is easy to use and easy to read.

I have in the shop probably 20+ tape measures ......... but I'm not OCD ..... 😁

Anyway thought ya'll might like to see these. What do you have that warrants the name "odd" ?

Attachments

• tapes (1).jpg
    tapes (1).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 109
  • tapes (2).jpg
    tapes (2).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 104

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The question is, if you put them all side-by-side do they measure exactly the same? At 1" they're all pretty much equal, maybe a microscopic difference. By the time you get out to 24" or 50" you start to see a noticeable difference. For that reason I got in the habit of sticking with one brand in the shop. I keep two of the Stanley 12' tapes in the shop and do all my measuring with them when working on a project. Don't know if they are 100% accurate, but at least they are consistent.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
But these all measure within 1/128" at 24", I know I checked. That is really plenty accurate for woodworking but that is not the subject of this post.

The posting is looking at some of the odd tape measures made.

prototype3a

Drew
User
I was recently on the hunt for a Stanley Fatmax inch/metric. For whatever reason they don't appear to be sold in the US but a few people ( I think ) buy them in Canada and resell them for considerable markup.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Put my Fatmax in the designated spot on my tool belt and then proceeded to "disrobed " to be able to use it, (get it out ). Kinda miss my Stanley 12' with the Formica on the side for measurements. I, like Bill, had two Stanleys.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I once bought a new level from the Johnson tool company. It came with a free tape measure.

Here it is. Go ahead - say it out loud.

-Mark

Attachments

• IMG_4547.jpeg
    IMG_4547.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have a small thin one that I can carry in my purse, because you never know when you’re going to need one.
IMG_1809.jpegIMG_1810.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors