The Joys of Handplaning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
1. Refurbished Bailey #7 25.00 (ebay)
2. 2 purple-heart boards (free)
3. Shooting a perfect curl down the edges for joining them!

Priceless!!!

Giving the old edge join by hand a spin, sharpened the blade up to 1000 grit. Tuned the chip-breaker and cap, and boy I wish I had a real bench for hand planing. This one does OK, I just have to be careful not to put to much heft and ease the cut, a sharp blade helps that out too. Just sharing my day with you friends. Be blessed!

Attachments

• 100_1119.jpg
    100_1119.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_1120.jpg
    100_1120.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 178

SSuther

New User
Stan
I pity the poor souls who've never had a chance to experience this. There's noting like seeing and hearing those shavings come from a sharp plane.:icon_thum

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
$25.00 Great Find:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:icon_thum

It was a steal! I was the only bidder because it had so much rust on it that you couldn't see the actual plane. It was the first plane that I purchased and was going into it just expecting a piece of junk, and gaining a lot of experience in refurbishing. After I zapped it, and cleaned it up it turned out to be a pretty good plane, all of the japanning was gone so I had to redo that. But hey the blade is still good and it works. No complaints here.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I pity the poor souls who've never had a chance to experience this. There's noting like seeing and hearing those shavings come from a sharp plane.:icon_thum

I have to admit I am slowly going to the dark side of hand tools. In quite a few areas the performance and results cant be compared when using a well tuned, sharp hand tool. Power tools do have their place don't get me wrong. But your right it makes you just giggle inside when you hear the zip of the shaving curl off the plane in a long continuous stroke.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Awesome, Michael! ... like Stan was saying...there is nothing like planing by hand...what a pleasure!

nelsone

New User
Ed
That came out nicely! I have to get one of the big boys! Biggest I have now is a #5. A 7 or 8 is the next in the stable! Congrats!

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Nice:icon_thum
Now you need to make a plane.

I have wanted to make a plane for a while now. I purchased a book on that particular subject. I will have some purple heart left over from a current job that I will do that. I am just cheap when it comes to purchasing a blade for it though. I guess I could make my own blade though.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Good for you! Once you get one that is tuned up and has a good edge on the blade it is amazing what you can do with one. I haven't tried purpleheart yet, but will be planing some shortly. One thing I have learned about purpleheart is that it is NOTORIOUS for splinters. I have never pulled so many splinters from my hands in my life.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome to the ectoplasmic ether, Michael!! Where turners go to the dark side, you have crossed to the realm where you can see and speak to ghosts of the past. You will now be consumed by an insatiable thirst to learn all the arcane arts, rituals and potions that will let you communicate with ancient souls of the forest in the quest to touch the souls of the rooted denizens that inhabit the earth. As you travel down this path, you will achieve greater understanding in how to bring their beauty to light for all to see.
In your quest to become "One with the Wood", you will also learn how to make the elements of the earth bend to your need for keen tools with which to extract the true meaning of the tree's substance, and also experience the pain that awaits you for transgressing from your intended purpose.
It is not an easy road my friend, but one which having started, you will feel compelled to continue. Although you may stray, it is a life-long journey that will call you back to it with the reward of feeling the essence of the woods' being through sight, touch, smell and feel.

Sorry you are hooked, but hooked you are!! Buy stock in Bandaids and Neosporin, and enjoy the trip!:-D

Go

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome to the ectoplasmic ether, Michael!! Where turners go to the dark side, you have crossed to the realm where you can see and speak to ghosts of the past. You will now be consumed by an insatiable thirst to learn all the arcane arts, rituals and potions that will let you communicate with ancient souls of the forest in the quest to touch the souls of the rooted denizens that inhabit the earth. As you travel down this path, you will achieve greater understanding in how to bring their beauty to light for all to see.
In your quest to become "One with the Wood", you will also learn how to make the elements of the earth bend to your need for keen tools with which to extract the true meaning of the tree's substance, and also experience the pain that awaits you for transgressing from your intended purpose.
It is not an easy road my friend, but one which having started, you will feel compelled to continue. Although you may stray, it is a life-long journey that will call you back to it with the reward of feeling the essence of the woods' being through sight, touch, smell and feel.

Sorry you are hooked, but hooked you are!! Buy stock in Bandaids and Neosporin, and enjoy the trip!:-D

Go

WOW, now that is a statement worth repeating.
Mark, you're one heck of a raconteur, and I mean that in the most complimentary of ways :icon_thum
Dave:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Seeing the curls come off a plane is pure zen. The first time I had it happen I immediately stopped using my power planer. You seem to become one with the wood. When you get a cabinet scraper to work right for the first time it also brings out the same feeling. I definitely love my power tools, but if I had to give up hand tools or power tools the power tools would go.

Keep on planing !

Jimmy:)

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I hate it when someone gets a better deal than me. :-( Nothing like those curls for inspiration!

I have a few cheapo planes from HF, and one of them goes a good job. The sole is smooth, but the body looks like pig iron, the handle like a leftover part from another plane.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I hate it when someone gets a better deal than me. :-( Nothing like those curls for inspiration!

I have a few cheapo planes from HF, and one of them goes a good job. The sole is smooth, but the body looks like pig iron, the handle like a leftover part from another plane.

Hey friend I have quite a few extra planes. I have some WardsMasters, and some early production Craftsman (manufactured by MillerFalls) Let me know if your intersted.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
That came out nicely! I have to get one of the big boys! Biggest I have now is a #5. A 7 or 8 is the next in the stable! Congrats!

#6 would be good, too. It's the same width as that
of #7 and #5-1/2.

You'll end up with all, as usual.

Pinwu

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
You'll end up with all, as usual.

Pinwu

That is true! I started out with just a couple to see how refurbing would work. Then before I know it I have #3-#7, wokring on getting a #8 (even tough I dont need a #8 the #7 will do the same job) And now I am keeping my eye out for the half number planes, its almost as fun collecting them as it is to use them.

4yanks

New User
Willie
Michael,

Congrats on a great find and neaderthal awakening. Be warned though that an addiction in this area can be costly. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS