The elves worked late..XMas Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Finally !! A couple projects out of the workshop.

A small stack of Shaker boxes in cherry. Here's a tip: do not attempt to spray rattle can lacquer in 30 degree temps..in a 10 mph wind. These are the boxes after a re-sand and respray.

Shaker-style serving tray (14" x 20"). I made two. The band is some old hard maple and the bottom is curly maple veneered over hardwood plywood.

This was a fun project..the band is a 5' strip - I had to soak it in the kids' bathtub to prep it for bending.

Detail of the band

Lastly, some cold-laminated salad servers. From L->R the woods are Lacewood, Qsawn Sycamore, Zebrawood and another of QSawn Sycamore. The Zebrawood was the worst to bend..very stiff and prone to splintering.

Merry Xmas everyone !

-Mark

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sweet :icon_thum

Mark you mentioned "Lastly, some cold-laminated salad servers." Tell me more about the process. Sounds interesting.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Very nice!
I tried one of those boxes years ago, and they are suprisingly difficult. Even now that I have more patience, I haven't felt the urge to watch wood split!

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Sweet :icon_thum

Mark you mentioned "Lastly, some cold-laminated salad servers." Tell me more about the process. Sounds interesting.
"Cold laminated" here meaning that there is an S-shaped curve in the servers (not real obvious from the pix) made by gluing two veneers together in a S-shaped mold.

No steaming or any other sort of wet bending process required.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors