The CNC Plunge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thats a really cool tool they have there! The router "knows" where it is relative to optical (im guessing) locations and compensates for human movement as it cuts along the predefined path. Its pretty ingenius. The only drawback I see is its strictly 2D at the moment.

It is really cool, but to me it doesn't seem practical. You're right about the 2D movement, hadn't really considered that.

By chance did any NCWW member order one? It will be interesting to see it's use. It isn't cheap, that's for sure.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I believe the latest firmware has Z control. As far a accuracy it "knows" the path and predicts where it needs to go. If you drift near the edge of ~1/2" allowed for servo correction it pulls out the cutter. I shake but can keep within a 1/4" boundary on each side of a line. There are different tightness settings for initial rough cuts and lighter/slower/finishing cuts if you need.

The concept is similar to the Domino. Take the tool to the work. This saves space and will do most of what hobby makers need. You can also stop work mid cut/project and as long as you leave the tape on the work piece, pick up the cut when and where you want. For tight spaces or rework or multiple users or different locations it fits better than a standard CNC.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
It is really cool, but to me it doesn't seem practical.

This is far more practical than a dedicated CNC gantry machine, especially for a home use shop.....the possibilities with a machine like this are endless (assuming it works as advertised). It has no limits of scale, its completely portable and does all sorts of things "on the fly", and very flexible for repositioning as well. All in a small compact design. I do see a limit to how far an operator can reach to operate it though, that could be a big drawback. Im sure it takes some "getting used to" like any hand held tool as well. I personally think this will be something to watch out for in the future of woodworking. As i mentioned, it is primarily for 2D cutting but it seems it will do 3D planar cutting (pocketing)but not 3D contouring at this time. This seems like an awesome tool for signmakers and people with limited space.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I believe the latest firmware has Z control. As far a accuracy it "knows" the path and predicts where it needs to go. If you drift near the edge of ~1/2" allowed for servo correction it pulls out the cutter. I shake but can keep within a 1/4" boundary on each side of a line. There are different tightness settings for initial rough cuts and lighter/slower/finishing cuts if you need.

Hey Mark - Did you order one? BTW I hope you're doing good ... hopefully we can meet up next time I'm in the area.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
This is far more practical than a dedicated CNC gantry machine, especially for a home use shop.....the possibilities with a machine like this are endless

Don't know if I'd go as far as to say that. While I see possibilities for this machine, there are downsides. Some of the basic things I cut out on my CNC machine take about 10 minutes, simple 2-d signs in material I can cut in one pass on my CNC gantry. It would take longer with that machine, the router isn't as powerful, and neither are my arms. Some of the more difficult cuts I do on my CNC machine can take an hour. Could you imagine moving that around for an hour? And some of the 3-D work I've seen done takes hours and hours. I've seen some fellows on a CNC group talk about it taking 36 hours to cut a 3D design they did. No way you're doing that.

This is good for the more basic cut items, but the more complex work, a dedicated CNC machine will run circles around this thing. I think it will be good when you need to bring the CNC to the material and not vice versa. A similar product, the Handibot, takes a different, but similar approach. http://handibot.com/

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Hey Mark - Did you order one? BTW I hope you're doing good ... hopefully we can meet up next time I'm in the area.
Nope...I just found out about it from Jeff Fischer's YT channel and interested in anything that allows me to work wood with my tremor. They won't begin shipping until September. I'll wait until they are at least on ver 2.0 firmware and in full production. It looks like Festool may be courting them but not sure where that's going. It would fit into their portfolio.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Don't know if I'd go as far as to say that. While I see possibilities for this machine, there are downsides. Some of the basic things I cut out on my CNC machine take about 10 minutes, simple 2-d signs in material I can cut in one pass on my CNC gantry. It would take longer with that machine, the router isn't as powerful, and neither are my arms. Some of the more difficult cuts I do on my CNC machine can take an hour. Could you imagine moving that around for an hour? And some of the 3-D work I've seen done takes hours and hours. I've seen some fellows on a CNC group talk about it taking 36 hours to cut a 3D design they did. No way you're doing that.

This is good for the more basic cut items, but the more complex work, a dedicated CNC machine will run circles around this thing. I think it will be good when you need to bring the CNC to the material and not vice versa. A similar product, the Handibot, takes a different, but similar approach. http://handibot.com/

I guess you didnt read what I wrote. Im aware you cant make a faux raised panel door with this although I dont know why anyone wants to anyway.... and like I said, it cant do 3D contouring. I doubt many people here are doing full 3D contouring anyhow. It is designed to eliminate the need and space of a HUGE (compared to other machines in a home shop) gantry CNC that does nothing more than it will. Yes, you may have to do more than one pass and Ill bet most of these lower end CNCs require that too.Its about space and scale. Try taking your gantry to a jobsite to cut a template for an arched door or something similar. You need to look past whats been and see what the possibilities are. Sure, if youre cutting cabinet pieces all day long that are nested together and your CNC is at full capacity, it cant keep up, no way. But for the hobbyist, this is an amazing tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS