The age of solid colors

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Looks like the beauty nature provides us in wood colors, figure and grain, all natural is something no longer appreciated.

All the jobs coming my way are solid colors and no one cares about what is underneath the paint.

Saw Bill Gates being interviewed from his home this morning and anything wood was painted white.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
It all goes in cycles, driven by marketing companies, like Sherwin Willimas "Color of the Month" and "Color of the Year" so that after a few years, you're nice White Chair looks dated so you're driven to replace it with whatever is currently in style.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Tvrgeek, you gave me a good laugh. And your avatar has such a straight face. Maybe you should move up to OSB and see how it stains.

Roy G

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Tvrgeek, you gave me a good laugh. And your avatar has such a straight face. Maybe you should move up to OSB and see how it stains.

Roy G
Wax makes it blotchy. :) Some actually did, but then again, some people jump out of perfectly good airplanes.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Guys remember Those guys are computer geeks. I lived in Silicon Valley, their favorite motif was Chrome, black, white, and grey. Digital interests does not seem to have the same appreciation for real live looking finishes, at least the ones I have seen.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Now wait a second, I'm a retired computer geek. FIrst generation as I built my first computer by hand on a wire-wrap board. (6502). I just retired as a computer scientist/data architect for extreme scale data bases. I don't like paint or live-looking, I only like real live wood! Maybe it is just a California problem. :p

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I don't know I am originally from California had 4 brother who were geeks, I can set up servers and build computers and I love wood working and natural finishes, I just figured I am the black sheep of the family :oops: :D

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I'm a solid color guy, but when it comes to wood, I love colorful wood. Zebra wood, spalted maple, and all woods with a lot of character, but I go for the natural finish. Occasionally I have painted the detail in a bird plaque I've cut out, or used a stain to enhance the character of the wood, but I really dislike painting any natural wood, even poplar. That said, after contemplating on whether I had a stained or checkered past, I can truly say it was colorful! ;) :p

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I'm a solid color guy, but when it comes to wood, I love colorful wood. Zebra wood, spalted maple, and all woods with a lot of character, but I go for the natural finish. Occasionally I have painted the detail in a bird plaque I've cut out, or used a stain to enhance the character of the wood, but I really dislike painting any natural wood, even poplar. That said, after contemplating on whether I had a stained or checkered past, I can truly say it was colorful! ;) :p
LOL, means you are not a solid color (white, dark navy etc.) guy. If your past is more colorful than all the streaks in Zebra wood, probably best to keep it a secret.

I am not very colorful, even avoid stain at all costs. There are enough wonderful colors, figure and grain patterns in natural lumbers to choose from.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
In the cabinet industry paints are more prevalent than stains at present. However I have also installed a lot of kitchens with a mixture of paint and stain and or two different colors of paint and or stain. It comes and goes as trends are like a moving cycle.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I was watching an episode of Hawaii Life on HGTV, a show where potential buyers look for homes on different islands. These two sister walked into this home with beautiful, natural Koa and said "Oh we could paint all this wood white to brighten up the place". Sad

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
In the cabinet industry paints are more prevalent than stains at present. However I have also installed a lot of kitchens with a mixture of paint and stain and or two different colors of paint and or stain. It comes and goes as trends are like a moving cycle.
The industry has managed to convince homeowners that we have to re-do our kitchen and baths every 10 years. HA, and again I say HA. Not this one. Good design will last many decades. I replaced my Levitt steel kitchen with Hickory and 20 years later when I sold it, the lookers loved it. My "new" house has , gasp, white kitchen cabinets. So they will at least get painted an off-white and tope. Nice granite counters and very expensive tile backsplash. Only good thing about the paint is I can make some minor adjustments for functionality easily.

IMHO, the only thing worse than the white kitchens is silver cars and black interiors. Well, maybe not as bad as painting Koa.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Some of the current kitchen fads look to me to be more about looks and less about function. In other words they are for people who want to have fancy kitchens to show off but they don't actually do much cooking in there, if at all.

Granite is one of those type things. I guess no one ever drops a glass or glass bowl on them? Or sets a cast iron pan down? Either way something's going to break, either the glass or the counter. Then again, I don't have granite counters so maybe I'm wrong there.

Open shelving is another one of those bad ideas to me. Are you displaying fancy cookware like art work or using it for actual cooking? How do you keep everything clean and ready to cook with or eat off of on open shelving?

White does brighten up a kitchen. It's also a bear to keep clean and white if you actually cook every day. Especially if there's any stir frying going on. Or you like bacon and don't cook in in your microwave.

Doesn't stop there. Do you really want to talk to your faucet? Have a video feed from your fridge? Have all your applicances on the web? It goes on and on.

But can you COOK?

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
The industry has managed to convince homeowners that we have to re-do our kitchen and baths every 10 years. HA, and again I say HA. Not this one. Good design will last many decades. I replaced my Levitt steel kitchen with Hickory and 20 years later when I sold it, the lookers loved it. My "new" house has , gasp, white kitchen cabinets. So they will at least get painted an off-white and tope. Nice granite counters and very expensive tile backsplash. Only good thing about the paint is I can make some minor adjustments for functionality easily.

IMHO, the only thing worse than the white kitchens is silver cars and black interiors. Well, maybe not as bad as painting Koa.
Good for you, I’ve been in the industry for almost 35 years, in many capacities, and have never noted the trend of replacing it every ten years. That said, many of the countertop products out there are not designed to last as long as I have seen or in my case worked with past it’s prime. Like cars though, things do have a life span. Especially when folks go cheap on the cabinet products they put in their homes. I have a manufactured cabinet product in my home and it’s not the best, however with my skill set I have managed to extend its life span. This is not our final home so they will have to do.
Now as for what I install for a living, it’s a mid to high end manufactured product with a custom department that can build what ever we need. The designers I work with attempt to design with the timeless in mind, however, some customers are hell bent on the latest fad. There is nothing anyone can do about that if you want to eat, for example, we had a customer who wanted black painted cabinets, and oh yes I’ve installed a lot of black lately, they wanted it in Cherry. It made my stomach hurt to think of it, we could have and did suggested they use Birch or paint grade Maple, they demanded Cherry and they paid for It.
as for the industry, getting folks to part with their money, it’s all industry developing a need from a want. I walk into a lot homes that are just bad design and the home owner is unhappy with it and ”they” want it improved. This is where I like to be the home owner who wants to improve their living space and improve their quality of life in it. They love the house it’s location their neighbors, but want a little different look, or a better quality of product or simply have the space function better. Let’s face it if you have seen the budget percentages from the mortgage companies you would be appalled, for cabinets for an average home being built from the early 90s too present is a poultry 2% of the entire budget. Most homes end up with a cabinet budget of 10% and some are more. That in itself makes it hard on the home owners, builders , and the cabinet companies to make a living. Now if you have the skill set to build your own, then by all means please build them, and show them off I want to see it and enjoy someone else’s craftsmanship. I enjoy it and cherish the fact that there are other makers out there,
Now as for the Koa, I would probably shoot someone for that one, cause that ain’t right.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Now as for the Koa, I would probably shoot someone for that one, cause that ain’t right.
Painting Cherry black is just as bad.
The rep from the cabinet company I do most custom pieces for has been in the industry years. He still has no idea what Cherry, Birch actually is and would not be able to identify it.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
When I want to brighten up a room, I use this new-fangled invention: A light. :p

Yea, being a professional does not guarantee brains. You should see some of the "professional" work done on MGs and Triumphs. $100 an hour for work I would not pass from a 10 year old. Incompetent or crooks, frequentlly both.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Painting Cherry black is just as bad.
The rep from the cabinet company I do most custom pieces for has been in the industry years. He still has no idea what Cherry, Birch actually is and would not be able to identify it.
That’s just it they are a rep, a sales person, not a crafts person, and to add insult to injury most customers couldn’t either. I’ve had many people walk up to a piece out of cherry finished natural and ask what stain was used to get that color. To me, that’s kind like not knowing where your food comes from, and I blame the system in which we all live for that injustice on humanity.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS