That whole measure twice and cut once thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I've been working pretty hard this week to put up some stud walls so I can get the electrical work and insulation done in my new shop. A little over half way there.

I was ALMOST ready to brag on myself because everything was going so well. I've NEVER built any walls like this before.

Couple of days ago I ran out of my pressure treated material for the base plate, so I went ahead and cut the studs to size and nailed them to the top plate. I got more pressure treated material today, cut the first one and nailed it to the bottom of the studs, Picked it up, pushed it into place and yep, you guessed it, somehow the whole wall was about 1/4" too tall.

Had to walk it off for about 10 minutes, but then came back, knocked off the top plate, cut off 'a little more than' 1/4" from each stud and put things back together. Fit like a charm.

Measure twice.... cut once. Words of wisdom. :gar-La;

Below are a couple photos of the work in progress.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170827_183518_resized.jpg
    20170827_183518_resized.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 20170827_183508_resized.jpg
    20170827_183508_resized.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 275

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I've been bitten by that more times than I care to admit. Looks like you're making good progress.

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Been there done that more than once, it's always a ####er. Just remember you'll do it again sometime, trust me I have.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
No, not me, never, ever! :nah::wwink: Well, maybe there was that one time. :gar-Bi

Actually, 1/4" too short might have been easier. Then you could have cut a strip of 1/4" plywood and laid it across the top plate. Viola!

Lookin' good, David.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Blame it on the "trades" that did the rough framing so the bottom or top plates weren't parallel/square or the concrete pad wasn't level! :widea:

Good progress and save! We've all been there, done that to.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Blame it on the "trades" that did the rough framing so the bottom or top plates weren't parallel/square or the concrete pad wasn't level! :widea:

Good progress and save! We've all been there, done that to.

It is always easier to blame someone else, than take credit for a mistake.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most likely you were working with dried treated wood to begin with for your shoe plate. The newer piece was probably wet and slightly larger than the others. That'd be my story to stick to........

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Most likely you were working with dried treated wood to begin with for your shoe plate. The newer piece was probably wet and slightly larger than the others. That'd be my story to stick to........

The new lumber was still wet, but I measured and it was 1.5". Who knows.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Just remember, the difference between a GOOD carpenter and a so so carpenter is, the good carpenter knows how to cover up his mistakes!:gar-Bi

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just remember, the difference between a GOOD carpenter and a so so carpenter is, the good carpenter knows how to cover up his mistakes!:gar-Bi

There's another way to tell:
A carpenter marks the board once.
A jackleg marks it twice.
A fool just keeps on marking it like he's gonna cut it with the pencil.......

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​I don't believe in that measure twice cut ounce thingee. I prefer to measure 4 or 5 times cut, cuss, go buy more wood. It works for me.

Pop
:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors