Temporary Connecting Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
UPDATE----alternate solution to the folding leg conundrum. A friend sent along the following youtube video as an option for my question to folding or temporary legs. I've already finished the tray w/magnets for the tempy legs and it works well. The following option would have worked well.

See the folding leg option around 3.40 mins on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bp777nYjvs

Thanks again to all the folks that offered suggestions.

Dan C.

OK Guys,

I need some help. I'm in the process of building an oak tool box for a buddy to show with his restored 1931 Chevy Phaeton.

The tool box is finished and now I need to make stand to display the box while the car is on exhibition. The box is 10" x 22". The tray stand needs to be collapsible so that it can be stored in the car boot. I plan to make the stand as a tray that will fit the box and it would be about 3.5" wide with a lip inside that the box would rest on. My problem is with the legs. I've scaled them at 1.5" Sq and about 21.5" tall.

Attaching the legs is the problem. I would like to use some sort of a snap apart mechanical fastener so that the legs could be pushed in to set up and then pulled out to store in the tray/stand. Here a are some pics of the box and a mock-up of my proposed solution. I would mount a block and house the sides so that the leg would fit in (with some sort of fastener) a male and a female arrangement. My fall back is a brass threaded insert in the leg top with a flat head brass screw set from the top of the mounting block. Problem there is that the screws will get lost plus it's a clumsy way to set up.

IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1260.JPG
attachment.php
attachment.php

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1258.JPG
    IMG_1258.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Gritz (Robert),

Interesting options. The first seems somewhat large and is only three legged. I'll explore the folding leg option as this might be workable. Thanks for the input

Dan C.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
How much will the tool chest weigh? I'm in the process of sketching out something for you. Just don't want to get it too heavy.

How tall is the chest?

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Chest is about 10" tall. Should not get too heavy as it is for display of some sample 1930s autotools

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
How about something along these lines? This is loosely based on a campaign stand and I only took a few minutes to doodle it out. I'd embellish it a bit more but I hope it gets the idea across. Leather straps across the top.

You could make a tray to sit on it or not.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Cool! I'm anxious to see how it looks with your nice chest.

If you were wanting to over do it a bit, you could make the legs look like tools or something car related. :)

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Dan, You've probably already considered all this, but car show sounds like you'd want something lower that folks can look into, very stable, sits evenly on very uneven and possibly soft ground.

What about something that attaches or rests one side on a bumper and has legs for the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS