Taylor Tool Works Sharpening System

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
After watching several videos on his system, it seems almost too good to be true. I know the Work Sharp uses same principal of sharpening, but for about fifty bucks, the Tay Tools system is a lot cheaper. I've assembled all the parts to make my own (I'm CHEAP!) Bought the arbors at Farm Show, ordered the 3-M paper, and have both acrylic and polycarbonate (Lexan) on hand, and will use disk of 1/2" MDF instead of leather stropping wheel. Now need some shop time to assemble system. Anybody here got an experience with this system?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
ShopNotes No. 107 (September 2009) has plans for this disk sharpening system.

1708436704557.png

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
I don't have any experience with the Taylor Tools (Taytools) system but I do own the Work Sharp 3000. I was just on their website and wow!, what a change. Way back when (prior to 2014) when I bought mine, they had a couple of accessories that are no longer listed which made the system very usable and without which, I would not spend the $250.00 for one today. They had a "wide blade" sharpening system which was essentially a flat table that could be mounted over the motor housing to be used with a wide blade holder. Another accessory was a "Tool Bar" which attached to the side/back of the unit and allowed use of Tormek® accessories for sharpening my turning tools.
Oh well. My workshop days are numbered and I am using them less and less. The next generation of wood workers will find their own solutions.
Other Bruce, be sure to post pictures of your finished product and a review if possible.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here's a different take on hooking up a sharpening system to the drill press, also from ShopNotes. Honing on the top disk and sharpening using the perimeter.

1708444629610.png

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I bought a WorkSharp 10 years ago and it still works great but noticed lots of new accessories and I agree with Bruce the cost is just a bit high today for the system. I watched the video by Izzy and the sharping system looks interesting, might make for a fun weekend build.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors