Tail center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
It's a Jet, need a #2 MT. I've looked, lot of choices out there. I damaged the point on the one that came with my lathe, and it doesn't look like it's replacable.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Did anybody notice how I refrained from posting the many jokes that ran through my mind?

I did!:rotflm:
oneway makes a set of live centers that gives you a wide variety of options. got mine at woodcraft a few years ago.:icon_thum klingspore will prolly have it too and you get the discount there as well.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Rob, I purchased a Oneway set and messed up the tip turning pens. That rotating pen mandrel can take off some material! :BangHead: Did that happen to you? Anyway, I'm not the only one because Oneway now sells a tip for pen turners that fits their system. I recommend it.

Rob

New User
Rob
I was looking a set similar to that on PSI's website also. May have to bite the bullet.

Sir Chiz

New User
Phil
Rob, you can repair the center point. Mount the tailcenter in the drive spindle, wrap tape around the bearing housing and MT shaft so it will "drive",start the lathe and touch it up with a file.

The center point should pop out using the knockout bar,remove the center from the lathe, insert the bar in the hole and tap the point out, I'm sure you can get a new one through Jet.

I have the Nova and Sorby tailcenter sets, both are good.

If you go through Woodcarft, AVOID the "Pro" live center set. It uses a rare earth magnet to hold the tips in, instead of good machining. The tips don't run true.

Phil.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I got the Oneway live center. It works like a charm. You can also add a piece that will allow you to attach your chuck to it, so you can accurately reverse chuck your bowl.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
WC has replacement tips for the centers.
If you tried using your stock one with the pen mandrel, that is your problem/cause.
You need a 60 degree center for the mandrel. You can pick up one from HF cheap. Other places carry them but for the money- well, that's where mine came from.
If you back your tail stock all the way in it ought to pop the center out.
Mike I noticed, and I was proud of you; especially in light of what my thoughts were! :widea:

ebrant

New User
Ed
For what it's worth, I bought the Pro set at Woodcraft and was disappointed with the quality. If I had it to do over again, I'd go for the Enco set. My experience has been that even the lower priced items meant for metalworking tend to be of a better fit and finish than those for similar woodworking equipment.

Rob

New User
Rob
So that's what I did to it, I've been wondering. I'll probably bite the bullet and order a One Way.

reprosser

New User
Rick
So, what are the features that make a good/better/best tail center?

I have only used the one that came with my lathe, so I have no comparisons to offer.:dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors