Tablesaw measureing tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
You know when you set the fence on the tablesaw to cut a particular cut and it comes time to make that cut maybe a 3/4" shorter on the next cut? When you move the fence to the left, the placement of the first cut on the tape isn't always an easy measurement to back up from. I have a 6" ruler, less than 1/16" thick and about 1/2" wide. I put that over the tape on the tablesaw with the 6" end going first. I line the existing measurement with a solid inch mark and move my fence to the left the amount I need for the next cut. I hope I explained this well. It works great for me without any guessing. Hope it helps someone else. Lorraine

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You mean you're not good at subtracting 3/4 from 15 5/16? Doesn't everyone instantly see that's 14... eh... (counting on fingers) - 12/16 - minus 5, that's 7, so that's 14 eh, close to half?

Great tip Lorraine. I think I have one of those small 6" rulers. :icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's really cool Lorraine. I actually took the little measuring tape off of my TS, measured it out, did a few test cuts and reapplied it. Perfect cut every time. :icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use a dial indicator. Learned to move a milling machine with one 20 years ago and still find it the easiest way to adjust any machine. Just flip on the magnetic holder, set the dial to zero and move the fence as much as I need.

A couple weeks ago I needed to make some strips exactly to fit a slot. I cut a test strip, checked it with a micrometer and set my dial indicator to move the amount needed. Made the cut and it fit perfectly.

I've seen other guys waste ten or fifteen minutes trying to set a fence accurately. Trial and error is a waste of time and material. Rulers are for rough measurements only.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
As I recall the tag lines, after measuring with the micrometer, one marks the cut with chalk and then uses either an axe or chainsaw for the final cut.

Glennbear

Glenn
You know when you set the fence on the tablesaw to cut a particular cut and it comes time to make that cut maybe a 3/4" shorter on the next cut? When you move the fence to the left, the placement of the first cut on the tape isn't always an easy measurement to back up from. I have a 6" ruler, less than 1/16" thick and about 1/2" wide. I put that over the tape on the tablesaw with the 6" end going first. I line the existing measurement with a solid inch mark and move my fence to the left the amount I need for the next cut. I hope I explained this well. It works great for me without any guessing. Hope it helps someone else. Lorraine
Good tip which simplifiys things :wsmile:

You mean you're not good at subtracting 3/4 from 15 5/16? Doesn't everyone instantly see that's 14... eh... (counting on fingers) - 12/16 - minus 5, that's 7, so that's 14 eh, close to half?

Great tip Lorraine. I think I have one of those small 6" rulers. :icon_thum

Being of European ancestry I think you would agree with a thread from DavidF a while ago that metric measurements are a lot easier to juggle. I have started to use "that side" of the ruler whenever I can especially since sheet goods now come in mm sizes. :wsmile:

As I recall the tag lines, after measuring with the micrometer, one marks the cut with chalk and then uses either an axe or chainsaw for the final cut.

Amazing process, isn't it ? Have you been peeking in my shop windows when I have been making "fine cuts " ? :rotflm:

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Great tip!!

I pretty much rely on my fence scale and my ability to do math in my head. Of course, as I get older the scrap pile grows!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors