Tables underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I've taken a break from bookshelves, pantry shelves, etc. and have 3 small tables underway. The two mahogany tables are about 16" high and will be used together in front of the sofa in our Great Room. The tops for these will be 13" square porcelain tile framed with mahogany. The cherry table is about 14" high and will be used a plant table. It too will have a wood framed tile top. I'm using the Sam Maloof finish on these and have just finished applying the 4th coat of the tung oil/linseed oil/poly mix. Now, I need to apply 2 coats of the oil/wax top coat. I hope to have the tops completed soon.

Thanks for looking.
Bob

DSC00046.JPG

View image in gallery

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=42963&ppuser=2286

Last edited:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Bob, those are some beautiful looking tables. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up I really like the taper on the outside of the legs.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Bob,

The tables look terrific. I'm looking forward to seeing them finished. How is the base joined? Mortise and Tenon? And how will you attach the top. I'm about to make a table about that size for my wife. I've thinking M & T to connect leg to apron. Not sure about the top.

DavidF

New User
David
Nice tables there Bobby, is it just an illusion or do the legs on the right hand table taper on the inside as opposed to the other two being tapered on the outside? And if so, did you mean to do that:rotflm:

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Nice tables there Bobby, is it just an illusion or do the legs on the right hand table taper on the inside as opposed to the other two being tapered on the outside? And if so, did you mean to do that:rotflm:
David,

Thanks. It is the same leg design but intentionally rotated 180 degrees for a different look. I have typically been building them like the cherry table.

Bob

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bob,

The tables look terrific. I'm looking forward to seeing them finished. How is the base joined? Mortise and Tenon? And how will you attach the top. I'm about to make a table about that size for my wife. I've thinking M & T to connect leg to apron. Not sure about the top.

Ray,

I used mortises and loose tenons. The top will be attached with "L" shaped wooden blocks. One side of which fits into the groove cut into the aprons.

Bob

DavidF

New User
David
David,

Thanks. It is the same leg design but intentionally rotated 180 degrees for a different look. I have typically been building them like the cherry table.

Bob

The old "yes I did that on purpose".....:rotflm: They look really nice both ways round.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great legs! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I kinda lean to ward those nicely figured mahogany tables.

The proportions are dead on. Love to see them when you get the tops done.

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very, very nice tables, I'll have to remember those. The wide aprons really make an impact, they make the piece feel a lot more solid, and the curve keeps it from feeling bulky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS