table top grain ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhett

New User
rhett
I am finishing up a dining room set and have come to the table top. In the past I have always ran the boards down the length of the table and occasionally I slap a breadboard on the end. The cherry I am using was given to me by the client. I would not use it, but it has sentimental value to her and is all of the same flitch. It is unruly at best. I think I can salvage it if I cut it into 36" lengths and flatten it out. I would then run the grain shortways down the length. Anyone here made a table like that? The final dimensions are 34" x 75" plus a 45" insert (two pieces). All the boards will be 5" wide and I am hopeing to be able to stop at 13/16 thickness. My main concern is the 10 1/2" overhang on the two ends.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have not made a table in that manner. But running the grain the short way on a table is pretty common for an expandable table with leaves. The 10½" overhang could be a problem with staying flat. What kind of a base are you using?? Is there any way you could run thin cleats out to help support the overhang and not be knee knockers?

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS