Table saw vs. Miter saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiep

New User
Matt
I was going over my list of upcoming projects with SWMBO to prioritize and such and came to the obvious conclusion that I am going to need more tools.

As I have very little in the way of woodworking tools I decided to ask here about table saws vs miter saws. I have neither.

In my beginner's way of thinking and based on my research, there is very little, if anything, that a miter saw can do that a table saw cannot do. On the other hand, table saws can do a lot of things that miter saws cannot, such as ripping lumber and cutting 4x8 plywood to size. Now, I am not saying miter saws are useless, I acknowledge that there are things you can do easier on a miter saw than on a table saw.

I guess I am trying to convince myself that if I just get one of the two that I'll be better off with a table saw first.

Here is the project list.

Attic flooring (will need trimmed 2x4s and cut plywood)
Finish tree house (will need trimmed 2x4s and cut plywood)
Raised garden beds (will need trimmed 2x4s and cut plywood)
Aquarium stand (will need mitered and cut hardwood ply and possible hardwood trim)
Bookcases (not sure composition, but beginner dadoes and grooves)

For all of these I can see a tablesaw coming in very handy, if not essential, while the miter saw would be nice to have. I would even get a router (for the aquarium stand) before a miter saw. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Matt

zapdafish

New User
Steve
another option is a good circular saw, saw horses, and a speed triangle. You can use a strip of ply for an edge guide.

between the miter vs table saw, because of the plywood, you pretty much have to go with the table saw. Depending on the table saw, i'd recommend using something else to break down the plywood like a jig/circular saw. For me, when I first started, trying to run 4x8 sheets of plywood through my saw was probably one of the most dangerous things I did. Some places will also break down the ply into more manageable pieces. I use the service alot, trying to get sheets of mdf home in a civic coupe aint easy but its doable.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is the project list.

Attic flooring (will need trimmed 2x4s and cut plywood)
Finish tree house (will need trimmed 2x4s and cut plywood)
Raised garden beds (will need trimmed 2x4s and cut plywood)
Circle Saw, large speed square or framing square & straightedge or chalk line is all you need here. End trimming longer 2 x 4s on a TS is doable but awkward. The degree of accuracy a miter saw will provide isn't normally required for these projects, but a MS with a bench & stops is more productive - just farther from the work.
Aquarium stand (will need mitered and cut hardwood ply and possible hardwood trim)
Bookcases (not sure composition, but beginner dadoes and grooves)
TS a MUST for these but it can be accomplished with a router, circle saw & straightedge if necessary. Not knowing your skills level, I'd advise doing the first 3 projects without the TS to help keep your cash flow in line. Get the TS when you're better able to justify it.
Of course, if you run in on a good deal on a TS, all bets are off. :icon_thum

Last edited:

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Unless your goal is to run crown around your entire house, I'd go with the table saw - A well tuned table saw is very precise, and can do almost anything you need of it.

You should be able to find a nice used contractor style table saw for under $200, either here or on craigslist. Then spend a little time making sure it's square, and tuned propperly, and you'll have a tool you can make fine furniture, or kitchen cabinets with.

Hope this helps

Dudelive

New User
Dude
+1

on what Dennis said

You have to ask your self this "DoI want a table saw or do I want a miter saw?"
Which one do you REALLY need?

As Dennis pointed out all can be done fairly easy except the last 2 with a
strait edge, chalk line and circular saw

My opinions miter saw is one thing but a sliding miter saw is another and has more uses
although it cost more.

Don't cheap out on the table saw or you will be sorry later.......you don't need the most expensive
but a $149.99 saw (New Price) just might have you mad at your self later on Although there are
some cheaper saw that are fairly good if you go slow and easy with them

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'll echo the advice on a circular saw and straight edge. That was my first power saw and I did a lot of projects like you are describing with it. Also, if you're talking about ripping plywood, unless you have one heck of a table saw setup, you're still going to have a hard time doing it. I have a decent setup with an outfeed table, but if I have to rip some plywood, I'm reaching for the chalk line and circular saw. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

That being said, I would get a table saw before a miter saw. It can do more, but a miter saw would be something I would want shortly after the TS. Like Greg said, if you are planning on running crown or base boards (any type of trim work), get a good miter saw. But for right now, with the projects you've listed, it isn't really necessary, but a very convenient thing to have eventually. My .02 :icon_thum

mattiep

New User
Matt
Are you guys trying to talk me out of a new tool? :slap: I already have a circular saw. For shame!

Just kidding. Everyone brings up some good points.

I've been cutting my plywood and 2x4s with a circular saw, and gotten decent, but not perfect, at it. Then again, I haven't exactly needed anything perfectly squared. And I won't need anything perfectly square to finish the tree house or do the attic and garden beds. Circular saw has worked and will work just fine for the lumber and the plywood, especially if I add a square (need one of those too).

When I get home I'll have enough saved for a decent used table saw (I'll wait for a deal) and probably beg one of the other members to help me make sure its decent before I buy. I'll almost certainly be able to justify it before long.

As far as breaking down the plywood with a circular saw before fine tuning, as several members suggested, I will certainly do that. Carrying a whole piece of plywood is difficult enough, I'd hate to try to balance a sheet, feed it, and cut a straight line at the same time. Excellent point about using a small piece of plywood as a straight edge, I'll keep that in mind as well while I wait for a tablesaw deal.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Are you guys trying to talk me out of a new tool? :slap: I already have a circular saw. For shame!

No, I think we're all in agreement that between the two, you'll be better off with a tablesaw. However, everything on your list can be done with a circular saw, saw horses and a few good saw guides. I thought I needed a table saw long before I actually did. My first couple of projects, I should have learned to use the circular saw to its fullest...but I spent too much time watching NYW and believed I could not build anything without a zillion power tools.

FWIW, I do not now, nor have I ever owned a miter saw. Given the constraints on space in my shop, I doubt I ever will.

Cato

New User
Bob
Nah we won't talk you out of buying tools.

A good table saw is a great thing and a pleasure to use, a cheap one gets to be a sore point and frustrating to deal with real fast.

I really like crosscutting dedicated to my miter saw and ripping on the table saw, and make my dado's on the router. I use both a lot but thats just me.

There are a lot of people that build crosscutting and mitering sleds for their table saws, and also use them for dado's as well.

Table saw has a lot of uses that I don't put it through, but I don't like having to change set ups all the time, plus I enjoy buying tools for each project!!

HERIJOBR

New User
RICK
A good table saw is hard to beat and a good miter saw is nice to have but for ripping plywood I still use my circular saw with a straight edge that I made here is a link that will help you with a homemade guide. I used the same principal as they show in the link but the material I used was 1/4 hard board its really simple to make just take the hard board and rip about four inches off the length then lay it on the remander of the hard board take your circular saw and lay it on top of the hard board take the piece that you ripped off and glue it on the hard board as your guide placing it about one 1/4 in back further than your saws base then run your saw down the guide cutting the hard board under neath and with two clamps and a couple of saw horses you are ready to go.

http://garages.about.com/od/toolsmaterials/a/circular_saw_guide_long.htm

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
For ripping sheathing and such I've found the Accu-Rip to be a great asset. It's only drawback is the guide leaves the wood before the blade does so you stand a chance of getting the end of the rip crooked. But set up properly it is worth the bucks for tasks where accuracy is not as critical. I've ripped up to 3 pieces of 3/4" PW at a time with it on a 7 - 1/4" circular saw. It has a rule on the guide that is accurate when set right so changing it isn't a problem and for repeated cuts it's a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS