Table Saw Miter Guage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Most miter gauges have a washer at the end of the bar to hold the gauge in the slot. I am always trying to lift mine out of the slot and am deterred by that washer so I am thinking of removing it. Are you a washer or non washer person?

ebarr

New User
Wayne
washer...but seriously thinking of ditching it all together in favor of a crosscut sled. Saw an angle jig for one the other day think it was in the latest wood magazine

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've left the washer on mine. I usually just push it all the way out the back end and lift it. Actually, its rare that I use the miter guage. I usually use some type of jig, or just the fence to rip cut.

Bill

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Non. All my table saws were made before they started with T slots. :gar-Bi
But if it had one I'd take it off........

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I leave mine on, but then I use an Incra miter gage, primarily because I am making a # of 90 deg. cuts of equal lengths. Simple to matter lay the gage guide in the track and push it forward until the front edge falls all the way into place, then pull it back. Same procedure to remove it. But then I have a simple mind--please don't confuse me with logic.:icon_scra

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Geoff, make one of these and forget all about miter gauges!
Universal TS jig from Wood.

Universal_Tablesaw_Jig.jpg

View image in gallery

jhreed

New User
james
Joe, did you make the jig or is it store bought? Appears to be a logo on the center section. Also, need help in understanding, does the sawblade cut the cross arm?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Joe, did you make the jig or is it store bought? Appears to be a logo on the center section. Also, need help in understanding, does the sawblade cut the cross arm?

James, it's shop built. What you see in the pic is the angle setting step. Since it works in either miter slot, I use one to place it beside the fence and with an adjustable right angle or electronic protractor, I can set the miter angle.....right on.
After setting and locking the angle, I lift it up and over to the other miter slot.
Also, since it's zero clearance cutoff, I set the mark to the edge and let her rip...er crosscut, that is.

ehpoole

Ethan
With respect to the original question...

I use the retainer washer/clip (it is not always a washer) with any T-Tracked miter track that allows their use. As others have mentioned, not every miter track is 'T'd (as in T-Track), some only allow for the 3/4"x3/8" bar.

The purpose of the washer/clip is to positively retain the miter gauge in the slot when it is pulled forward beyond the front edge of the table -- such as for wide boards -- whether it be at the tablesaw, bandsaw, router table, etc. With the washer/clip installed the miter gauge will not tip up precariously, nor will it crash to the floor when extended beyond the front edge of the table.

I have never found mine to be a hassle so I always leave them in place for any tool that has a true T-track, but I will remove them when working with a tool that does not. To easily remove a miter gauge with such a retainer, you can either simply pull it back fully until it is free OR you may push it forward until the retainer washer/clip clears the rear of the table and then lift the miter gauge up and clear of the table.

As with much in woodworking, it is very much a matter of personal opinion and is not mandatory. If it really hassles you, go ahead and remove it -- just be careful when mitering or cross-cutting wide boards where the miter gauge must partially extend beyond the table's front edge.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use (and recommend) an Osborne but my saw (a Ryobi BT3100) came with no miter gauge slots. So I built accessory tables with them but they are not t-slotted. So I run without a washer. Mostly I cross cut on a radial arm or a dual bevel 12 inch CMS.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS