Table Saw Blades - Specialty or Combination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Unfortunately, I know too much useless information. What really scares me is what I have forgotten. Nice thing is I don't remember what I forgot.

Travis

New User
Travis
Boy, a lot of information on blades. I have the WWII as well and use it for everything but it splinters nice plywood veneer. Is this where you switch to a glue line rip blade???

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Boy, a lot of information on blades. I have the WWII as well and use it for everything but it splinters nice plywood veneer. Is this where you switch to a glue line rip blade???

nope, a GLRB is designed for ripping hardwoods and softwoods, up to 1 inch thick generally.

right now, we are using an 80 tooth(?) Freud blade of unknown model for the ply (maple and birch, 1/2 and 3/4) we are cutting. I think, looking at the pattern of the kerf as it is cut into the ply, that it is an ATB (alternating top bevel) style blade. the nice sharp corners do a really good job of slicing off the ply before it gets an opportunity to splinter. Does that make any sense?

Charles M

New User
Charles

HiATB blades with low or negative hook angle and lots of teeth (like the LU80R010) are best for plywood. The GLR blades are best for dedicated ripping of solid wood.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great post and great suggestions. But now, I'm confused :oops:
I use a Ridge TS2000 blade most of the time. Suggested by Woodguy, it cuts great and has lots of carbide for resharpening. However, I use Freud 24 tooth blade when ripping hard, thick stock.

So set me straight :slap:
80 tooth blade is preferred over 22-28 for ripping?????

TIA,
Roger

DavidF

New User
David
I use a Ridge TS2000 blade most of the time. Suggested by Woodguy, it cuts great and has lots of carbide for resharpening. However, I use Freud 24 tooth blade when ripping hard, thick stock.

TIA,
Roger

Maybe only for plywood, but 30-40 for normal thick ripping should be fine.

Charles M

New User
Charles

TIA,
Roger

Roger,

Sorry for the confusion. The 80T HiATB is for plywood. Cutting along the grain of the face veneers in plywood is considered the same operation as cutting across grain. Ripping solid wood requires a blade with a LOT less teeth. This is due to the chip size created. The smaller the chip load the more teeth you can use. Here's the rule of thumb:

3 to 5 teeth working in the wood for ripping
5 to 7 teeth working in the wood for crosscuts and for cutting sheet goods

sapwood

New User
Roger
Roger,

Sorry for the confusion. The 80T HiATB is for plywood. Cutting along the grain of the face veneers in plywood is considered the same operation as cutting across grain. Ripping solid wood requires a blade with a LOT less teeth. This is due to the chip size created. The smaller the chip load the more teeth you can use. Here's the rule of thumb:

3 to 5 teeth working in the wood for ripping
5 to 7 teeth working in the wood for crosscuts and for cutting sheet goods

Hmmm, so you're the source of my confusion :eusa_thin
LOML says it old age :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the info . . . this post and others you've contributed :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS