Supermax 16-32

JBowlin

New User
JB
So looking to add a drum sander to my my
small shop and seems this has gotten the best reviews. Wanted to see what the general census was and if anyone knows of any Black Friday deals coming up.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Don't know of any sales coming up but I purchased the Super max 19-38 about 7 years ago.It is a heavy beast but rolls easily on 3" swivel locking casters. The only setup I had to do was aligning the in feed/out feed tables. It has served me well and paper changes are pretty straight forward. I did have an issue in the beginning; treating it as a thickness planer and trying to hog off too much material at once! Light passes are mandatory.

Wayne

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think Laguna just finished a 10% off deal

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
For the price difference I couldn’t justify the 19/38. The dust collection is excellent. The only issue I’ve had is the conveyor belt tracking is not stable. I’ve never been able to figure out why. Apparently this is not an issue for other people. And I wish they retainer spring/clip was on the left side, but you get used to it.

If there was one machine that is a game changer in my shop, hands down it is a drum sander, I’ve been very happy with mine (16/32).

I strongly recommend the infeed/outfeed tables and casters.

mpeele

michael
User
I've had a Supermax 16/32 for about 5 years. I got the smaller because it is smaller and I've yet to us it for anything over 16". I also had trouble with the belt tracking at first. I took me about 6 months to get it stable. I think it must have take that long for the belt to get to it final shape.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I just saw this today. I guess the sale ends today!

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
Don't know of any sales coming up but I purchased the Super max 19-38 about 7 years ago.It is a heavy beast but rolls easily on 3" swivel locking casters. The only setup I had to do was aligning the in feed/out feed tables. It has served me well and paper changes are pretty straight forward. I did have an issue in the beginning; treating it as a thickness planer and trying to hog off too much material at once! Light passes are mandatory.

Wayne
I bought the 19-38 a few years ago as well. I did the exactly same thing...thought it was a thickness planer and burnt up many rolls of paper trying to use it as such! Finally read someone's post here on the forum about light passes....now I really like it!

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
It's not a thickness planer, to an extent.

I use it to thickness tenon stock, laminations, veneer, etc.

lhmayberry

Les Mayberry
Corporate Member
I also have the Grizzly G0458z 18" and also had minor problems with the in feed conveyor. Grizzly was very helpful in solving the problem and after learning the best way to use , it has been a great addition to the shop. I received a sale paper from them last week and it is in there for 895.00 until Jan 3 2024

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I have the PerformMax 16-32 with 80 grit and it removes very little per pass. Disappointing but that is the nature of a 1.5HP single drum sander.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
For the price difference I couldn’t justify the 19/38. The dust collection is excellent. The only issue I’ve had is the conveyor belt tracking is not stable. I’ve never been able to figure out why. Apparently this is not an issue for other people. And I wish they retainer spring/clip was on the left side, but you get used to it.

If there was one machine that is a game changer in my shop, hands down it is a drum sander, I’ve been very happy with mine (16/32).

I strongly recommend the infeed/outfeed tables and casters.
I’ve never gotten my 19/38 to track for long. And it takes awhile to get it straight. But in awhile it goes right back. Annoying. Talked to SM about it & they had no answers. Pointed out to them the procedure in the manual was wrong.

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I have a 22-44 for sale on here. I haven’t had any problems with the conveyor belt tracking once I got it set correctly.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
One school shop I knew had been using a 16-32 for years and they loved it. I got a call from them to see why the machine had developed a horrible vibration. The machine seemed tight but at speed it wanted to walk across the floor. I looked into the end of the drum and saw where a chunk of accumulated sawdust had dislodged and thrown the drum way out of balance. Once the inside of the drum was cleaned, the machine ran fine. I mention this in case a user experiences vibration that hadn't been there before.

An extreme example below from the drum of a 6x48 belt sander.
1            dust - 1.jpg

Boomvader

Rich
Senior User
I used to have a Jet 16/32, but acquired a Supermax 25/50 along with a 20" planer last summer. My opinion is that the Supermax is a bit better in performance and build quality.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I have been using the Jet 16/32 for over 10 years on an almost daily basis and never looked back. I have used several other brands in the shop and find the build quality surpasses most others IMO.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors