stump carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
Did this stump job this past spring in Charlotte at the Duke Mansion. The tree was a 17 1/2' tall white oak 16' around. Just got another commission from them to do a life size Farmer McGregor and another 36" Peter Rabbit.
Don't get jobs like this everyday and the timing could not be better!
peterx.jpg

peterz.jpg

Work was 95% chainsaw with the rest being done with grinders. As always all comments both for and against are welcome and appreciated.

Stave

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
:swoon::swoon:That is talent:swoon::swoon:. I am going to look that up next time I am in Charlotte and have some time to kill. Very impressive indeed!!

Dragon

New User
David
Way cool there. I work with stumps and logs too but I can't even begin to carve anything. I make furniture out of mine. You've got some great talent there.:notworthy:

Woodchuck

New User
Chuck
Beautiful!!! It always amazes me the work that can be done with a chainsaw. Really outstanding. Thanks for showing.

Chuck

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Amazing! :eusa_clap :notworthy: :eusa_clap :notworthy: :eusa_clap

I had to do a double, no triple take - you carved a whole new stup out of that stump!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow that is spectacular :notworthy::notworthy: How big is the new stump now? My wife asked me if I could do that, and I told honestly....no :nah:

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Stave,
That is a delightful piece of work from top to bottom. Are you sure it didn't just grow that way :roll: Nah! You have a unique talent :icon_thum

I'll never understand the artistry, but could you tell us what you used for color/finish?

Roger

stave

New User
stave
Thanks for the kind comments, it was a really radical job compared to my usual. The stump is probably 1" shorter than before. The end grain on the top was so dry and hard the saw just bounced off of it. Got to admit I was more than a little nervous that high off the ground standing on my tip toes with a saw trying to make cuts!

The finish is Behr semi-transparent stain although it sure did not come out anything close to semi-transparent...looks more like paint! I was still happy with it but would have liked to see more wood grain showing.

stave

New User
stave
petergroupb.jpg

This is a beginning shot of the piece. Can't see it very well but there is a big gap all around the tree so to carve there were walk boards across the platforms. I do not like heights and some days it was tough to stand on those boards and walk. OSHA compliant scaffolding...had to meet the regs due to it being a public space etc, etc.

Badabing

New User
Joe
That's awesome! It's not often that I call my wife over to the computer to see something on NCWW, but this was one of those times. She was amazed too!

Nice work! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors