struck "gold"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
mulberry.JPG

That's mullberry split into manageable pieces for turning blanks. I think it will turn darker as it dries, but when you first split it, it's 24 karat!

Dragon

New User
David
Looks sorta/kinda like the wood in a small tree that I cut here last winter. I cut off a small section and it was very golden yellow and sappy as all get out. It isn't big enough for me to do anything with it as I'm not a turner but it is about 8" or better in diameter and looks to have a burl or two in it. Guess I should cut into it again and see what it looks like now.:eusa_thin

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Isn't mulberry awesome ?

IME it turns a subdued brown over time. Don't know if there's any way to keep the bright color (like the old debates about keeping purpleheart purple).

-Mark

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I like Mulberry. I have a piece that may be ideal for a bow stave..English Longbow in particular.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's some nice looking wood Andy. What do you plan to turn with it? Can't wait to see it all finished. :icon_thum

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
That's some nice looking wood Andy. What do you plan to turn with it? Can't wait to see it all finished. :icon_thum

One piece is cut as a bowl blank, but I don't sually turn bowls. But one log had a bend at the top and wouldn't split straight.

I will do some spoons, splatulas and maybe a HF or goblet. I may try some woodwinds.

dkeller_nc

New User
David
Andy - Be aware that mulberry is really hard. And like most woods, it turns much more easily green than dried. It also is a bit tricky to dry without splitting and checking - not impossible, just not as easy as cherry or walnut. My thought would be to consider waxing the pieces to keep them green.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Andy, if you need a place to store a few pieces I can make room.:eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS