Stripping Bark

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
I am looking to make some rustic furniture with the bases made from branches. Are there any secrets or techniques to stripping the bark?

Thanks in advance,

J

jeff...

I'm not sure but after reading a few things I really don't think the sap is either up or down I think it remains the same year round. My understanding is the water is consistent thought the year. As the process of photosynthesis starts in the spring it moves nutrients through the water from the roots to the leaves. At least this is what I understand from reading "A guide for producing the best lumber" by Gene Wengert.

I think in the winter the nutrients flow stops or slows way down ???

It's confusing, I never really understood the whole sap / pitch thing with trees anyways.

Dave HELP :lol:

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeff, it is pretty hard to say when the "sap" in a tree is up or down. The cambium layer of a tree, which is the living area between the bark and the "wood"(which is just last years dead cambium layer, to simplify things) contains two types of cells. Xylem which carries water up from the roots to the leaves, and Phloem which carries the nutrients formed by photosynthesis through the tree and down to feed the roots.
The cambium goes dormant in the fall and then reactivates it the spring. If I had to say a time when "sap" movement would be the greatest it would be in the spring and carrying through the growing season when the photosynthetic activity, and transpiration of water from the leaves is the greatest. I would also think that when the leaves aren't present there would be less "sap" movement. So I would deduce that the "sap" flow is "up" or greatest during the growing season and "down" during the dormant winter months.
Tree cells are always going to contain a certain amount of water regardless of the season (MC of green timber), but for bark removal purposes I would think that the spring when the cambial activity is the greatest and the bark can "slip" on the active cambium tissue would be the best time to easily remove the bark.

MTCW
Dave(the plant nerd):)

J

jeff...

Man you guys are pretty cool there :-D It's amazing how living things work isn't it?. I've always wanted to understand trees from as far back as I can remember but just never took the time to study them like I want too.

From what little I know from sawing logs, I would tend to agree peeling bark off fresh cut logs would be easiest in the early spring. Seems like the bark is softest then and not only that there is a think layer of slick watery stuff right under the bark that should help someone peeling to slide the bark off the wood. of course if you let the logs dry out long enough the bark falls off pretty much by it's self. :eusa_thin

Thanks guys - it all boils down to what is defined as sap. But either way you look at it it's wet and sometimes very sticky (nasty pine) :roll:

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Have always heard if you cut logs in the summer, bark will fall off. If you cut logs in the winter bark will stay on.

Might be easier to remove bark while wood is still wet, regardless of when you cut it down.

Think a pen knife, draw knife, and furniture scrappers will remove any and all bark, you want off!

Bark on, bark off just another design element for rustic furniture.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
In making my walking sticks I strip them green.Gota watch the hickory it will turn your hands black.I cut them down through out the year.But what I cut will be smaller than what you want.But I cut them extra long let them dry for 8-12 mo. That way if it doe's split hopefully not the twisty part it don't mess me up.Watch out for the smaller Maple it will bow as it dries.I have too strap them down to 2x4s.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
use a power washer Mitch. lower setting with branches still attached to main trunk.

Sap is up on poplar in July and August (bark harvesting season)

Cedar .. sap never up but easy to peel in the summer.

Pine april- august
Oak- see above
walnut and cherry- anytime in the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS