Storm doors in Raleighwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Looking for recommendations for purchasing storm doors in the Raleighwood area. We have some '80s era metal ones that have seen better days. One is coming apart and I had to swap the glass panel in it out from one of the others after something broke it. I figure I should just replace all 3 at the same time and haven't been too thrilled with the options I've seen available for order from Lowe's. Looking for suggestions from anyone who has recently replaced some and was/is happy with them and where the best place to purchase from might be. These aren't insulated at all so I guess I should probably consider something better while we're at it.

TIA,
B.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
We've been in our house for 18 years. I'm on my 4th storm door. The first 3 were those vinyl/aluminum things that began cracking around the corners and gradually rotted from the inside. They were all made by Larsen. I now have an old school solid aluminum door. It's been up for a couple of years and there are no problems ...yet. All of the doors came from Lowes.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
We've been in our house for 18 years. I'm on my 4th storm door. The first 3 were those vinyl/aluminum things that began cracking around the corners and gradually rotted from the inside. They were all made by Larsen. I now have an old school solid aluminum door. It's been up for a couple of years and there are no problems ...yet. All of the doors came from Lowes.

Rob, we installed some Larsen doors at the family farm a good while ago and they all "rotted" as you described as well. My mom went through all kinds of hoops trying to get them to honor the warranty. They started out by saying they'd only accept the original receipt which they promptly lost after she sent it in. Several copies of that receipt and various other things later they asked for more pictures of the defective doors. She'd already sent in about a dozen and the doors had been removed and stored in a barn. So the new pictures she sent them were of the doors in the landfill about to be run over by the yard loader/spreader along with a letter telling them she'd never buy another of their products and expected to receive a check for the full price of the doors. :gar-Bi They got a check about a month later and never heard from Larsen again or bought anything they made. I've been trying to avoid them as well since then and have managed to do it so far.

B.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Are your basic doors also vintage 1980? If so, you might be further ahead replacing those with modern, energy efficient ones and nix spending $300-400 each on energy efficient storm door replacements.

https://energy.gov/energysaver/doors

Jeff, yes doors are solid wood and also original. One is a french door and the other two have glass panels in the top. I hadn't considered doing away with the storm doors and replacing them instead, but even just doing the two that are alike would probably be pretty expensive. I'd like to continue to be able to open the glass panels in the storm doors in the spring though so I'm not sure that's an option I'd pursue..... Gives me something else to consider though, thanks.... :eusa_thin

B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS