Stanley #62 sweetheart?

BoPerry

New User
Bryan
Looking for advice on this Stanley 62 hand plane. Is $100 a fair, good or a great deal.

Thx for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_4268.jpeg
    IMG_4268.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4265.jpeg
    IMG_4265.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4267.jpeg
    IMG_4267.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4266.jpeg
    IMG_4266.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64

Echd

C
User
Looks like a pretty good deal. Amazon has them new at 140 and a couple of sketchy websites have them for less.

I have the Veritas version and reach for it often. Some people strongly like or dislike low angle jacks.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I purchased the Stanley 62 about 10 years ago. Don't recall the price, but I'm pretty sure it was over $100. It's a good plane. I most often use mine on a shooting board or to trim end grain. The iron is thick and holds an edge well. I did have to adjust the mouth slightly on mine. One side wasn't milled well, causing the iron to cant. A few strokes with a file fixed the problem.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
They retail for around $160.00, much like Jim I had to adjust the plane for some poor milling. Other than that adjustment it’s a good plane.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
I have the LN version and love it. FWIW, Rob Cosman hates the 62 low jack plane. You may want to watch his video on what tools not to buy, if you want to hear a contrary opinion.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Quite a few reviews and most not very positive. Quality. With proper tuning, we can of course make about any plane perform. You have to decide what quality is worth.
I wish for a traditional Bailey style, but with a fixed ( changeable) frog and adjustable toe. Kind of like half 62, half 602, half Veritas custom.

If you buy from Amazon, you can at least look it over and decide if you want to keep it. Personally, if I were to buy a low angle, I would suck it up and get the Veritas. Smaller cheek does not matter to me as I use my #7 on the shooting board.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
FWIW, a few years ago a very knowledgeable and well-known woodworking teacher noted that a 62 low angle jack plane is the best "first plane" for a new woodworker to buy to develop skills. I still use mine quite a bit but have also added a 4.5 and a 7.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS