Stanley 118 block plane

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A stamped sheet metal body Stanley 118 block plane has been part of my shop for at least 25 years. I’ll use it for all kinds of block plane tasks that don’t require a lot of precision. The nice holes in the side make it perfect for hanging on a handy nail. If it hits the concrete floor, no biggie. I’ve had to replace much nicer block planes when they didn’t survive the same trip. That can happen when moving stock around on the bench and the block plane is on the other end. Treat the blade as carefully as you do other plane irons and you’ll be surprised at how nicely it works. I suspect that I use this plane for 80% of my block plane tasks just because it’s handy. My better planes have to be removed from specific storage areas.

I thought I’d pass this along in case you run across one and pass because it is so cheaply made compared to other block planes.

1        Stanley 118 - 1.jpg 1        Stanley 118 - 2.jpg 1        Stanley 118 - 3.jpg 1        Stanley 118 - 4.jpg

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
That’s interesting. I have a #5 with stamped metal frog and lever cap. It was the only bench plane I had until I started accumulating some old Stanleys. Any ideas who would have made it or how to find out? I haven’t seen any mention of Stanley making such a thing.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've owned and fixed up a many odd brand hand planes over the decades since the 1970s. They all seemed to have worked ok enough despite the lack of build quality of some. I think a razor sharp blade is all it took to make them work. The 118 is probably the worst build I've encountered but it still is the one I reach for because it is so handy just hanging there on a nail.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS