"Standard" Oak Finish

Smilin_Jim

New User
Jim
We have a lot of manufactured oak items in our kitchen and even though they came from different manufacturers and we got them at different times, they all are very close in color. I need to rebuild one section of a cabinet and I am looking for information as to if there is a standard method for the sort of honey brown finish on all of it. I have had good results with BLO on red oak, but with all of the consistency between pieces, I am wondering if there is a standard approach for finishing commercial pieces.

Any helpful thoughts?

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Jim, pics would help. Question: Are you using new red oak or are you refinishing exisiting red oak?
Commonly what you are describing is made by staining the oak then applying a topcoat, perhaps most commonly polyurethane. There are many other pathways- dye, etc. I’m not sure what equipment you would use (wipe, brush, spray), but a basic first suggestion would be to look at minwax stain samples. Often the big box store will have a color palate on oak. Try comparing that to your pieces.
If at all possible, try a sample piece of wood with the complete finish schedule- stain and topcoat and make sure it matches to your liking before committing. Alternatevily, a place like Sherwin Williams can color match the stain if you can provide a sample. They will also have the basic color samples on oak. Keep in mind that the top coat may impart color depending on the product.
If you are refinishing existing wood, that would be another discussion.
Does that help?

Smilin_Jim

New User
Jim
Redknife,
Thanks for the reply. My project is full of options at this time. I am working on replacing part of an existing oak cabinet but I have not bought wood for the project yet. Most wood at the big box stores is red oak, but I do have hardwood stores that I could get white oak at if that is the more common species for cabinets. I don't know which is standard. Before reading your comment, I would have assumed cabinet makers would have used an oil like tung or linseed instead of a stain. It is not a super high-end cabinet, so maybe it is stained. I like the Sherwin Williams idea. I would not have thought of that. Thanks.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Probably half the school furniture ever made is finished like that. Many years ago I built tables for my classroom and finished them with "Golden Oak" stain covered with poly. I'm pretty sure it was Minwax like this, but others make something similar.

1631276785934.png

Smilin_Jim

New User
Jim
Martin, Without any other information, that is exactly what I would expect, too. I will do a test piece and adjust if necessary. Thanks.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I used to work at KraftMade cabinetry in Ohio. Natural red oak cabinet doors were sanded and sent to the sprayer. I believe it was just oil based poly. Yeah, that line was a smelly place, and hot! The ovens were at the end of it.
Edit to add. I did not run the sprayer or have anything to do with loading it. WAY above my pay grade.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS