Speaking of SawStop

John Marquis

John
User
I also have a 3HP PCS. My previous saw was 52” but the SS is 36. I rarely eve had the fence past 32” and the extra space allowed me to add an extension to the left, which is very handy. If you have the space.

I think the T glide fence is standard if not you definitely want it.

Also, because if the internal dust shroud and duct you need to use the dust collection or the flex duct will clog up.

The guard has great dust collection. I ended up buying a small shop vac and remote switch just for it.

View attachment 228082
That is a really great setup. I do not have the room for something that large. I'm leaning towards the 52" and making it the center piece of the shop. The rest of my equipment is all on rollers. I'm also thinking of making a set of drawers to go under. I saw a plan for a moble base made of wood and lifting casters that would also include the drawers.

Gboot

Gene
Senior User
I have the 36 also, never saw the need for, the additional width. 36“ was wide enough to install a router table in the wing.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My previous table saw was a Ryobi BT3100. It was a better saw than most believe. It would cut deeper than my PCS, for instance. I had the extension rails for it and before I shortened them I had much more than 52 inches. But in my small shop that took up too much room. Guiding material that large through the saw was also an issue for me, working alone. Like Luke, I got a track saw and saw no need for the extended rails any more. So when the Ryobi wore out (elevation mechanism) and I upgraded to the PCS, I knew I wanted the 36 inch rails. Cuts on big chunks of wood are just better done on a track saw, at least in my shop. Looks like the price difference is only about $100. I would still get the 36 inch. Unless you have LOTS of space.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I frequently see requests for trades on the 52" rails to 36" if that tells you anything. Get a large piece(s) of cardboard, lay it(them) out in the footprint of 52" rail, and live with it for a week or two. See how valuable that space is to you.

llucas

luke
Senior User
after seeing Dr Bob's configuration (above) I now wish I had had the foresight to plan for more room to the left of the blade...that would be much more useful to me that 16"more way down at the other end.

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
I’ve had the 3hp PCS running on 220 for about 5 years and am very happy with it (though it spent 2 years in storage due to moving). Space isn’t an issue, so I decided to go with the 52”. Did I need the extra 16”? Absolutely - I don’t know where I’d pile the extra crap I have there if that space weren’t available.
LOL!!! That's exactly why I got the 52" as well!!!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
As far as space, I moved my TS against a wall limiting right of blade to about 36 inches. Over-arm, power, dust collector need to be coming any there anyway. I then made a port hole behind it so I can rip long 12 wide boards. I can't handle full sheets anyway. For that, I keep a slab of foam in my garage and use a circ saw/strait edge. One of these days I'll buy a track saw. The Makita looks great but the new Milwaukee may be even better. My router table is to the left in the outfeed table.

I had so many scares on my RAS I was glad to see the end of it. Crosscuts not too bad but ripping was a incredibly dangerous process even with rip-strait hold downs. Dados, surface plaining, coves, shaper heads, all those " you can do this" just plain don't! Sliding long stock behind the blade is a pain. Pulling across asks for a climb accident. So we not have sliding compound miter saws that don't rip and let you push. Not safe, but way better. Accurate enougf that I can 2-cut 18 wide with perfect alignment. Yea, bought a Kypex. The Ridged was not rigid enough.

John Marquis

John
User
So, I finally decided on the 3 HP 36" PCS. I brought it home this afternoon from Klingspor. The first thing I'm planning on doing is building a platform with lifting casters. It will be a lot easier to get it on the platform before I add all the weight. Thanks for all the imput, it was really helpful.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
So, I finally decided on the 3 HP 36" PCS. I brought it home this afternoon from Klingspor. The first thing I'm planning on doing is building a platform with lifting casters. It will be a lot easier to get it on the platform before I add all the weight. Thanks for all the imput, it was really helpful.
Great pickup, very exciting. I did the same thing for mine. I'm not tall but I do like higher table heights in my shop.

Attachments

• PXL_20230310_203859544.jpg
    PXL_20230310_203859544.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors