Spalted (?) Oak bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
This is duplicate info from my other post about the Oland tool. Sorry to repeat, but many may not care anything about the Oland, and might not read that post.:embaresse

Anyway, I got an Oak crotch from an old guy down the street yesterday.
It turns out to be mostly rotted and riddled with worm holes, some still with the worm! I decided to call it spalted (though I'm not sure that term is appropriate here) and change the design to utilize what decent wood there was. The result is pretty interesting, if not super-usable. I used the Oland tool exclusively, from blank roughing to final shaping, with the exception of a little bit of skew work at the end to smooth out the inside. It's only at the first rough sanded stange now, but will be completed as soon as I think it's dried out enough to accept some sealer and Tung Oil.
Also shown are a few shots of my new PSI Barracuda2 SE in action.
Man, this thing is SWEET! :icon_cheers

Results below:

I'm thinking I'll leave the edge natural and thick to show off the color differences in the wood.

Comments/Suggestions? :notworthy:

Elmojo

New User
Mike
I hear some woods are more prone to bark release than others, but I haven't had a problem with it yet. I put CA glue around the edges to make sure it stays put.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
I can't wait to finish it, but I need to finish evicting the current residents first. :tongue2:
I found live grubs in some of the holes, so I put it outside to freeze overnight. It's supposed to be like 9F tonight, so I figure that will work. :saw:
I hope to finish it in the coming week and will post photos if I do.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
NIce looking bowl. I've had good success using ca (thin, no acelerator) to keep natural edges on. And since I started on pens I've found myself using ca to finish some bowls. It isn't as easy due to size and volume but it works.
I hadn't thought of cold to keep the inhabitants under control. I've usually used the microwave but cold enough ought to work well.
I had a large crotch from a cherry that was awesome. Unfortunately my son shaped it with the Stihl non-turning tool. OH the horrors of good intentions and miscommunication!
Now I have two non-book-matched odd-shaped cherry blanks :( always something, isn't it?:slap:

JRD

New User
Jim
I found wasps in a series of Pecan pieces one of my daughters gave me. Apparently the larva had drilled holes into the wood, waiting to mature to their adult stage.

I used a 30 minute soak in DNA to kill the buggers. It worked just fine, no unwanted wasps or larva survived.

Jim

Dragon

New User
David
Nice looking piece of work. I wanna see the finished product too. Ya'll are gonna keep on you're going to have me buying a lathe.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
The force is STRONG!!!!!!!

Indeed. I hope to get a chance to work on it some this week.
It's on my porch right now, and very likely may have gotten wet from the rain blowing in under the eaves.
I need to dry it back out and try that DNA soak. I really don't want any creepy crawlies coming out of the finished piece.
I suspect that would put a damper on my wife's enthusiasm for displaying my work. :realmad:

J

jeff...

I think that's post oak - kinda surprised to see them PPB bore into the heartwood.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
What now?
The tree itself is post oak or the grubs are post oak?
I don't understand.:icon_scra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS