Source for wood windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
Hey all-
I'll be starting an addition to my house in the next month or two, and am doing my final product sourcing. I need a suggestion for wooden windows...I don't want the Pella crap from Lowes...wood insides and aluminum outsides. We want wood on the inside and outside...because I think it looks better, and it'll match the rest of the house.

Anybody have suggestions on brands and sources?

Thanks

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Lowes has what you want, in their PlyGem line (used to be MW.) Made in Rocky Mount Va, just south of Roanoke. They used to sell over ninety percent of windows in this market. Stock buys their sashes and build the frames. I have Ply Gem / MW windows all through my house. Just replaced three to get Low E, argon filled, insulated glass. You will need to order "natural" (not primed, unless you are going to paint the) on both inside and outside. If the rest of your house has older MW's, you can convert existing sashes to "tilt in" with a little work. I have done this on several houses where sashes were good, but balances were shot (windows wouldn't raise or stay up.) PlyGem / MW sells a replacement kit to replace existing sashes in existing frames. Takes longer to paint window than to do conversion.

jemcguire

New User
John
Jeff
In Durham you might try Talbert's Building Supply just off 147 up near 15/501. As for brand - you can't go wrong with Marvin windows, but you'll pay. Talbert's carries Marvin + just about any other price point.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used the Lowes MW all wooden windows, double hung, with real divided lights and a real wooden grid. They fold in for cleaning. They went into the Log House I built in Virginia. This was 20-25 years ago, but I was very happy with them. If the PlyGem line is similar you won't be disappointed.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS