Sometimes we just get lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Had a Dremel 1680 Scrollsaw for 15 years and we spent many days together, fell in love over the years. These were discontinued by Dremel early 2000's. Then it happened, a 12/4 Pecan board decided to fall on top of the Dremel and smashed it.

Ordered the Dewalt DW788 and it went back for quality issues, replacement arrived. Also went back for quality issues. The question became spend big money for a high end saw, or try and find an old Dremel for parts.

Found a brand new Dremel 1680 with stand, the only new one in the country as far as I know. It must have sat in a warehouse somewhere for 15+ years. For $150 I took the risk and ordered it. It arrived brand new, unopened in perfect new condition.

Sigh, we are in love all over again and we have an old one for parts to keep the relationship alive. :)

Scroll saw.jpg

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Some days you just trip over a field of four leaf clover. I usually step in something else.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I learned to scroll on that saw. It is too bad that Dewalt stopped making quality tools.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice story with a happy ending.

I too lament the quality control issues DeWalt seems to be having.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ordered the Dewalt DW788 and it went back for quality issues, replacement arrived. Also went back for quality issues.

I too lament the quality control issues DeWalt seems to be having.

Good observations. I'm not shopping but there may be other members who are. Maybe you folks could start another thread with the specifics of your experiences with DeWalt declining quality. BTW, I have a few older DeWalt tools that have been fine so I'm not trashing the brand.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
William, if that saw is 15 years old or more, the bearings may be about done. Grease in the bearings tends to separate over time and after awhile the lubrication is gone. You should listen for any noise and be prepared to replace the bearings if they start to sound loud.

Roy G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS