Something a little different, a shop made plumb level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Last fall I started researching levels and settled on building a plumb level as illustrated in Peter Nicholson's The Mechanics Companion, 1831. If you've never heard of, or seen, a plumb level it's no surprise since they were replaced by spirit levels in the 19th century. Adding an angle gauge makes an inclinometer.

g7WJVIUl.jpg

My version replaces the string and lead weight with a brass rod, attached to a wood axle press fit into a roller bearing, allowing free swing. The plumb bob and axle are turned from ebony. The frame is cherry, the white strip is American holly harvested from my backyard. Finish is beeswax and oil. There is no advantage to the rod and bearing, I did it simply to modernize the design and be different. I would show a picture of the bearing but after pressing in the axle I couldn't remove it. The brass rod is actually canted back toward the frame and the plumb bob is flat on the back. On a level surface the pointer will be centered on the white strip. Gravity will push the pointer toward the low side.

Version 1: Cherry, striped ebony, holly.

QRGf00T.jpg

Pc7LWYV.jpg

Version 2: Cherry, walnut, holly. Changes from v.1, the center isn't glued, the angle brackets are attached with brass screws to allow adjustment, and the plumb bob is completely round instead of a flat back.

EgLa3eW.jpg

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
That is VERY cool, and it seems to work, as in that first shot, your shop helper seems plumb tuckered out.

Beautiful work!

K

Rick M

New User
Rick
The little porch on the front of my shop is her spot, she moves for nothing but squirrels.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Very nice! I love shop made tools and this one is a winner.

Did you have a master level to calibrate it or did you use the mark and reverse method?

Rick M

New User
Rick
I don't have a master level, just a regular Stanley and I used the reverse method to check it. The first version actually went out of level after being on my mantle for a couple weeks but I made a second one (last pic) using brass screws to attach the angle brackets and no glue so it could be adjusted. I have no idea how old timers kept theirs calibrated or maybe they didn't and that's why bubble levels made them obsolete. I chose Nicholson's for its looks but here are other styles.

7VBaKyil.jpg

Inclinometer

6UGKWy6l.jpg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very very nice, love the contrast and the up date using the rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS