Some Fein vacuum questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
EDIT - I ended up going with a ShopVac "quiet series" with roughly the same specs as a Turbo I for now. Thanks for all the help in responses.

I started a thread about getting a small DC primarily for the lathe and rotary tools, and I mentioned that a vacuum upgrade to adress it was a possibility. For reasonable noise levels, that really pretty much boils down to the Fein and Festool and teh Festools start higher than I would want to spend. However, I checked NexTag for the current best deal and the Fein Turbo I comes in at $259 with free shipping. It looks like I could get what I want in a DC for around $200, so the difference is less than I thought and I may put a Fein on Santa's list. But I have a few questions for Fein owners...

Is the Turbo I just smaller or is there more to the story? I am always leery of the lowest priced unit, though it appears from reading specs and what not that it has the same noise level and motor as the II.

Is it a good choice for the lathe? I would probably have some lengthy "sessions", where it might stay on for quite a while.

Is it a good choice for the rotary tool? I have a hanging motor foot control rotary tool. It has exactly the opposite problem from the lathe; it gets turned on and off several times while using it. If I plugged it into a tool control for a vaccuum, it would cause the vaccuum to get powered off and on a lot. One option would be to leave it on.

I have seen a few threads where people mention also still needing a ShopVac for general clean up. Why? I would hope to replace my noisy ShopVac.

bwat

New User
Bill
If you decide to go with the Fein and can wait for the Klingspor Extravaganza (see sidebar ad) you may get a better price. Fein products are seldom discounted and last year the reps attending the event had a good show special available if you can make it to Hickory or PE.

CarvedTones

Andy
If I decide to go with it, it will likely end up under the tree. But while I would have time to wait for a deal, I wouldn't travel far for one.

I did think of one more question for owners - would you advise buying a used one? I bought a used ShopVac, but at a greatly reduced price. Vacs seem to have a life span much shorter than most shop tools.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
There are people who just have to get the latest. Fein is a better & quieter vac than Festool, so if you find one used from someone who just bought a Festool.....Grab it!

Accessory receptacles are limited to a ridiculously low amp rating. Don't use it myself.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
I have had my Turbo I for several years and have never regretted it. I used to grab the hearing protection with the Genie unit, but not now with the Fein. It is quiet, has great suction, and the accessories are all high quality. Sure it costs more, just like any good power tool. As far as longevity, it still works and sounds as good as when I bought it. I use it several times a week, and I have used it a number of times with the ROS during extended sessions. It won't replace a dust collector, so get both!:icon_cheers

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Andy,
I have the Fein Turbo II outfitted with a Gore Cleanstream HEPA (~$35 from Lowe's) It's been a while but I believe there is a significant step up in suckatude and capacity vs the Turbo I. Worth saving a few more months for it if you can. If you're doing something that generates high volume chips, attach it to a 5 gallon bucket DIY collector ala Phil Thein and you got close to best bang for the dollar and square footage buck. The old versions had all or nothing suction control. The new ones are variable. I have to dial the suction down when sanding with my 6" and 1/2 sheet sanders by creating a variable leak. Fein makes a "Y" hose connector with a replacable cap for one of the limbs of the "Y". I drilled a 1/2" hole in it and use a piece of masking tape to seal it when I need full suction.

To address Joe's concern: I've connected every 110V powered hand tool I own with a dust port to my Fein and have yet to have issues with current. The issue is a 15amp wall plug as the lowest common denominator. If you don't start everything up at the same time you're fine.

CarvedTones

Andy
As far as the I versus II, based on the specs there is a step up in capacaity but not suckage. They have identical power, suction and air flow ratings. The really odd thing is that the I appears to have more standard accessories including a tool adapter.

CarvedTones

Andy
Well, I went with the cheaper solution for now. I was discussing this with a coworker and he asked me what made this that much better than the quiet ShopVacs at Big Lots:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f77/6-gallon-quiet-shop-vac-35-biglots-25934-post259789/
Yes, I know there are good answers to that question, but since I already have a CleanStream HEPA in my big old loud ShopVac that I can swap out for the paper filter in the new ShopVac, it was just too good to pass up right now. So the Fein goes back on the "someday list"...

CarvedTones

Andy
Good luck.

Thanks. Just to be clear - I am sold on the Fein as a better solution. I just couldn't make it happen right now and using the big old loud ShopVac or putting up with the dust were not good solutions. I know the new "quiet" Shopvac will be louder than the Fein, but my current one is an older larger unit and I do expect it will be substantially more quiet than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors