Solidworks cad software for veterans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Like you, when I'm doing design work for a client, I generally start out with a fairly simplistic model although depending on what changes I anticipate might be needed, I will use a combination of individual components and some more simplistic modeling. Instead of drawing all the parts and then assembling them, though, I draw all the parts in place. So, for example, if I were drawing a cabinet, I would start with the left side, copy it and flip it to make the right side which I would put in the correct location. From there it's a very simple matter to draw the parts that go between the sides to fit. There's no need to figure out how long those pieces need to be. I let SketchUp tell me that when I've completed the model.

It is possible in SketchUp to (and some people do) draw each piece separately and then assemble the parts to make the 3D model.

Is it possible in Solidworks to follow a similar work flow?

In case there's any interest, there's an old video here. that shows that.

You can do that in Solidworks as well, or just edit one part while it is in its assembly. I think most folks will never use all the features of Solidworks as it is pretty advanced. For all my designs I use a feature which allows an automatic update of all the part dimensions. For example if I want to stretch or shrink a Kitchen cabinet to fit in a specific space, I can change one dimension and it will update all the rest including drawer dimensions etc. Or I can go further and allow only standard door and drawer sizes, then the program will attempt to fit the whole job to the new dimension, using standard component sizes.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Following this now. I am starting on Sketchup, and would like to draw each piece like mortise and tenons to get the angles right and measurements that fit together in my mind, but sometimes things don't go as good in real life so it would be nice to have the freedom to plan the piece out to a cut list and have it tested in a 3D environment before I end up with one of those "How did that turn out like that" moments. Currently, it take me about 10 minutes to draw one mortise. Is it me just not knowing how to work fast or should I try Solidworks?

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Ok, just watched Dave's video, it's me. Disregard my question. I just don't know how to use it yet.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
From what I can tell, the free version I have lacks a lot of tools that would make it faster and easier to use like Snap and such. I don't want to spend $600 on Pro. :dontknow:

Not sure where you got that from. Absolutely the only difference as far as drawing goes, is the lack of the Solid Tools in the free version. Everything else as far as actually drawing in SketchUp is identical. You and I ought to have a chat this evening after I get home from work.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Sounds good. PM sent.
Not sure where you got that from. Absolutely the only difference as far as drawing goes, is the lack of the Solid Tools in the free version. Everything else as far as actually drawing in SketchUp is identical. You and I ought to have a chat this evening after I get home from work.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Just got off with Dave Richards on GoToMeeting. LIGHTBULB MOMENT! All the things I was frustrated with basically boiled down to lack of understand of the program tools and processes. I think he has single-handed reduced my time to do something on there by 75% or more. Thanks again Dave. Your awesome! Now to go rub some Neosporin on my forehead from all the "DOH!" moments I had.

nblanton

New User
Nate
I received my Solidworks copy tonight. Its pretty much a full student version. It has all the add-ons and features the full version has. After using SketchUp for the past year or so, I forgot how nice a fully featured program is. I'm not sure how good Solidworks will be for furniture design, but at least I can actually draw everything I want and have it come out the way I intend as opposed to just trying to get the program to work.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Can anyone advise as to whether or not that offer is available, say a year later? :rotflm:

$20 seriously...the LEO in me says 'There is NO WAY' ...where is the guy lying in wait and to what are those strings attached? For veterans...really. Just strange. Beautiful car but does it have motor and drive train.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
It is definitely a nice gesture from SolidWorks. The student version sells for around $100. Of course, it is only available to students, so it isn't supposed to be an option for an individual that isn't in school.

Truefire

New User
Chris
It is definitely a nice gesture from SolidWorks. The student version sells for around $100. Of course, it is only available to students, so it isn't supposed to be an option for an individual that isn't in school.

Oh, ok that makes sense. II would have caught that detail if I would have read the entire thread perhaps. Well shucks. This would have been really nice to know just a few months ago. :thumbs_do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS