Smoothing plane - tear out?

photostu

New User
Stuart
I'm still very new in the hand tool world, but I'm starting to use my hand planes. I think I already know the answer, but thought I would ask to make sure. When planing, the grain direction must matter to prevent tear out. I'm starting to build an outdoor side table and was working on the legs with my #4. The timber is white oak. It did seem depending on the direction I was planing, I got tear out, in a very random pattern. When I planed the other direction, I did not seem to have this happen. After doing this properly, I can see why this is preferred over sanding, the surface was smooth as glass. I was very happy with the results :)

How can you figure out how to avoid this tear out, i.e. determine which direction to plane? Thanks for your time. I'll try and post some pics tonight of the tear out for example.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Look at the edge of the plank, if the grain is dead level with the surface you can plane in any direction. If the grain emerges from the surface as in cathedral grain then you must plane so that you are pressing those emerging ends down. With very curly or burl grain the answer is a higher angle blade, tighter mouth to hold the grain down, or a toothed blade then card scrape.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I also usually look at the end grain, but you can also look at cathedrals, if present. On the bark side, plane into the points, on the heart side plane with the points (easy way to remember the heart goes up).

Be aware lots of woods can have swirling or what I call "obstreperous" (thank God for spell check LOL) grain and even when planing in the correct direction there can be areas of tear out with grain that will fight you. White oak is not one of the easier woods to hand plane. IME quarter sawn oak can be one of the worst for tear out.

Be sure your iron is 'wicked' sharp and set for a whisper thin cut.

With experience you'll learn to feel how the plane is cutting, skewing the plane as you push it is one way to minimize issues. If I'm dealing with that type of wood, I'm usually going to a scraper pretty quickly.

Hint: when making panels, be sure to orient the grain of each board in the same direction. This will make planing a much happier experience!

Last edited:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another trick (especially with rough cut boards) is to run your fingers lightly over the board, if it feels smooth you are moving with the grain, if it feels rough you may be moving against the grain.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The current May/June 2019 issue of Fine Woodworking, #275, has a timely article with good pictures on this very topic. It's on the newsstands now.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS