Small Humidor build

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I'm debating a design for a humidor for a friend for Christmas. I have made several boxes but not a humidor. I have the cedar for the inside and planned to use veneer grade walnut for the exterior and maybe some edge banding trim. I might do the top in a different wood but I have not decided.

Would it be OK to use a solid wood for the top and bottom?

Most that I see on line seem to be veneered plywood and not solid wood. They are not that big but then it does have moisture in it. Being fairly new at this I have been more concerned with safety, getting tight miters, tool set up and matching grain than I have been about expansion of wood.

I'm open to ideas on domestic wood combinations and design ideas or if you have photos of what you have made, hinge styles, closures or not...

If you have made one, I'm curious about what suppliers you used for the hydrometer, hinges etc. Seems to be plenty on line but I don't know the quality of any of it and it all looks good in a photo.

Thanks

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I've built about half a dozen humidors over the years, and I always used solid wood for the sides and veneered plywood for the tops and bottoms. I used mitered joinery with internal splines for strength. I also glued the plywood panels for added strength. The interiors were lined in 3/16" Spanish cedar (with no finish). I've not had any problems with any of the humidors.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I've built about half a dozen humidors over the years, and I always used solid wood for the sides and veneered plywood for the tops and bottoms. I used mitered joinery with internal splines for strength. I also glued the plywood panels for added strength. The interiors were lined in 3/16" Spanish cedar (with no finish). I've not had any problems with any of the humidors.
Thanks, I do enjoy looking at the boxes you have made and posted. One day I had figured to maybe pop up and watch you work if possible as I'm in Shelby.

I assume you just prefer to use the plywood so you have better choices of veneers or is it just what mist be done do to hardwood tops splitting.

I have just started doing internal splines and had that in mind here also..

How thick was your plywood and the sides without the lining?

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I did a quick search on: spanish cedar
Lots of links came up with this one in particular: Cigar Humidor
I noticed in this link that they did not install the hydrometer or the moisture pack thing.

I guess it's not necessary or do you know?

I forgot I could search this site for info so thanks for that reminder.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Thanks, I do enjoy looking at the boxes you have made and posted. One day I had figured to maybe pop up and watch you work if possible as I'm in Shelby.

I assume you just prefer to use the plywood so you have better choices of veneers or is it just what mist be done do to hardwood tops splitting.

I have just started doing internal splines and had that in mind here also..

How thick was your plywood and the sides without the lining?
The nominal thickness for the sides is at least 1/2" and 5/8" if the box is on the larger size. As for the plywood, I use 1/4 Baltic birch and veneer both sides. The bottom is glued in a dado at 1/4" from the bottom, and the top is set and glued in a 1/4" rabbet, and then I do an inlaid banding over the seam. I've used this assembly process on over a hundred boxes without any failures. Good luck with your build.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Not a wooden box humidor but I have built a few of these thermoelectric humidors and they work incredibly well. They don't have the exterior beauty of a wood box but they are tough to match from a functionality perspective when it comes to humidity control.

Humidor 2.JPG Humidor 3.JPG Humidor v2 - 2.JPG

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Not a wooden box humidor but I have built a few of these thermoelectric humidors and they work incredibly well. They don't have the exterior beauty of a wood box but they are tough to match from a functionality perspective when it comes to humidity control.

View attachment 220008 View attachment 220009 View attachment 220010
Thanks, Love the front. Curly Maple is one of my favorites.

What is your source for the hydrometer or other parts?

I'm not a smoker but if you have a suggestion on a few quality cigars to put in this when I gift it, please PM me those.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Thanks, Love the front. Curly Maple is one of my favorites.

What is your source for the hydrometer or other parts?

I'm not a smoker but if you have a suggestion on a few quality cigars to put in this when I gift it, please PM me those.
Jim - I have a number of humidors and I use a few different Hygrometers. These small units are plenty accurate for this application and inexpensive. The major difference being if you want to monitor the readings on your phone remotely or just when you're looking at the humidor. Amazon.com

For humidification, I use a generally available product that is the similar to what is included in Boveda Humidity packs. It stabilizes the humidity and enables me to go months without having to adjust or hydrate. Probably needs an offline discussion if you want more detail as it would all be dependent on how large (number of cigars) you'll be keeping in the humidor and location/climate where the humidor will be stored?

For Cigars, that is such a personal taste (and $). My personal favorites are the Prensado by Alex Bradley and La Historia E-III by EP Carrillo. I buy both of them from cigarpage.com.

Look forward to seeing what you build. Send me a PM if you have any questions about the info above.

Lastly, here is an easier cigar project I made that many cigar enthusiasts really like . . . .

IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1939.JPG IMG_1940.JPG IMG_1942.JPG
View attachment 220015

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Jim - I have a number of humidors and I use a few different Hygrometers. These small units are plenty accurate for this application and inexpensive. The major difference being if you want to monitor the readings on your phone remotely or just when you're looking at the humidor. Amazon.com

For humidification, I use a generally available product that is the similar to what is included in Boveda Humidity packs. It stabilizes the humidity and enables me to go months without having to adjust or hydrate. Probably needs an offline discussion if you want more detail as it would all be dependent on how large (number of cigars) you'll be keeping in the humidor and location/climate where the humidor be stored?

For Cigars, that is such a personal taste (and $). My personal favorites are the Prensado by Alex Bradley and La Historia E-III by EP Carrillo. I buy both of them from cigarpage.com.

Look forward to seeing what you build. Send me a PM if you have any questions the info above.

Lastly, here is an easier cigar project I made that many cigar enthusiasts really like . . . .

View attachment 220016 View attachment 220014 View attachment 220013 View attachment 220011
View attachment 220015
Thanks Rick, I'll reach out as I get closer to starting this project.. probably a month or so out. I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I thought I would reboot this thread just to show my humidor progress for those who chimed in when I was asking questions about this project.

The base box is together. I used curly ambrosia maple that I found last week in an antique mall both. I have started actually planning the use of the wood to reflect the best and most balanced look without regard to waste. This one balanced out fairly well with the sides clean, the front with 2 ambrosia strips at the top and the rear has 1 at the bottom. I beveled the top at about 75 degrees and did a 25 degree chamfer on the bottom leaving a 5mm reveal at the top and bottom, if that makes sense. So far the only thing I'm displeased with is the miters. I just completed 2 memory boxes with great miters so either i did not mill this quite right or the curly undulations kept the miters from coming together. I'll try to roll the edges some and blend that in and or add some glue and saw dust. Next will be to cut it open and line the inside in Spanish cedar and make some trays along with adding the hygrometer and humidity packs to the inside. Last would be the hinges. The quadrant hinges seem a bit intimidating since I have not used a router except one the table. I might just take my time with a chisel and drill the slot for the locking piece to go down into except drill bits pull. Sure don't want to mess this up at this point.

Any critiques or hints are most welcome.. never too old to learn unless it's my wife doing the teaching since that means I was wrong.. lol

Attachments

• 20230824_173733.jpg
    20230824_173733.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • 20230824_173718.jpg
    20230824_173718.jpg
    1,005 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230824_173703.jpg
    20230824_173703.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very, very nice Jim. The box is absolutely gorgeous. As for the quadrant hinges, nothing wrong doing them by hand. If you're going to make more humidors it might be worthwhile to make a router template, but for a one-off a knife, chisel and drill will be just as fast.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Very, very nice Jim. The box is absolutely gorgeous. As for the quadrant hinges, nothing wrong doing them by hand. If you're going to make more humidors it might be worthwhile to make a router template, but for a one-off a knife, chisel and drill will be just as fast.
Thanks. I stumbled into the wood for the top and bottom. The top came from a saw mill burn pile.

By chance is there a hinge brand you prefer. Seems they run 9 to 33 a set. This is for a good friend. Not looking to be cheap but not looking to Be stupid either.

Been watching your shop come together. It's looking pretty professional for a temp shop but of course it can all be taken out when you leave.

MtnManNC

New User
Zak
I'm debating a design for a humidor for a friend for Christmas. I have made several boxes but not a humidor. I have the cedar for the inside and planned to use veneer grade walnut for the exterior and maybe some edge banding trim. I might do the top in a different wood but I have not decided.

Would it be OK to use a solid wood for the top and bottom?

Most that I see on line seem to be veneered plywood and not solid wood. They are not that big but then it does have moisture in it. Being fairly new at this I have been more concerned with safety, getting tight miters, tool set up and matching grain than I have been about expansion of wood.

I'm open to ideas on domestic wood combinations and design ideas or if you have photos of what you have made, hinge styles, closures or not...

If you have made one, I'm curious about what suppliers you used for the hydrometer, hinges etc. Seems to be plenty on line but I don't know the quality of any of it and it all looks good in a photo.

Thanks
Hey friend! Humidors are the focus of my business so shoot me a note and I’d be happy to hop on a call with you. I also partner in a cigar shop so can likely help you with accessories!

Love the idea!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks. I stumbled into the wood for the top and bottom. The top came from a saw mill burn pile.

By chance is there a hinge brand you prefer. Seems they run 9 to 33 a set. This is for a good friend. Not looking to be cheap but not looking to Be stupid either.

Been watching your shop come together. It's looking pretty professional for a temp shop but of course it can all be taken out when you leave.
I can't remember the last time I installed a quadrant hinge, but I think I got it from Rockler. Never been disappointed with their products.
Thanks for the shop feedback. Yes, everything can (and will!) be taken with me when I move. Tools and cabinets will be slightly more portable than last time around.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Somewhere in this thread, there seems to be an opportunity for a collaborative how-to article for our Resource forum. Volunteers please?

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Somewhere in this thread, there seems to be an opportunity for a collaborative how-to article for our Resource forum. Volunteers please?
You might be right but I'm a beginner who is borrowing from a fine woodworking article...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS