simple gun cabinet plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Hi all. I am looking for a plan to make a simple gun cabinet for a shotgun and a few rifles that I have acquired. thinking of just a basic box out of 3/4 ply with a shelf and a door(lockable). When saying this please keep in mind that I have minimal tools. I do have access to a table saw, and I own a router table, various sanders and a coupel of hand planes. so if anyone has an ideal let me know.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I've always liked the look of a nice gun cabinet with glassed doors. That said, in this day and age it's just too easy for a burglar to smash into the cabinet and steal all the firearms. All my firearms are in a metal safe bolted to the wall and floor. Not impossible to break into, but a lot more difficult than a classic display type gun cabinet.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I made a knock off of this one for my father in law several years back - it was a great project.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/a96/1273026/

I built mine out of solid 5/4 quarter sawn red oak and eastern red cedar drawers instead of plywood though. If I can locate the thread and pictures il post them here for you. All in all I would say its was an intermediate level project.

The internet is a black hole - nothing can escape it

Last edited:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Here are a few pics of the popular mechanics gun cabinet knock off I built. I used thick plexi glass instead of real glass also. If I recall correctly it was 7' high and 32" wide all said and done.

uploadfromtaptalk1453840420860.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453840433473.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453840458718.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453840474087.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453840488598.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453840509632.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1453840519354.jpg

The internet is a black hole - nothing can escape it

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I had a built in gun cabinet in my last house. My walk in closet had clothes in a L shaped arrangement. On the wall without clothes, I cut through the drywall so the cabinet would only stick out about half as far. Sides were screwed to the studs. I think I took out one stud so it was about 32 inches wide. I mounted a piece of 1.5 inch thick construction lumber at the right height for the guns to lean against. I laid them out along this, getting them about as close as possible, then traced the butts on a piece of 3/4 plywood. I cut out the shape of the butts and let the gun butts rest on the carpet through the plywood. Up top, I screwed pieces of softwood sticking out towards you into the 2X back rail to keep the guns from sliding to the side. Above the space for the long guns I had shelves for ammo and other things. The whole cabinet locked. It would not have been real hard to break into but my guns are not expensive. I mainly wanted to keep the kids out of them. Plenty strong for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors