Sign-up for Raleigh Sharpening and Handplane workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The workshop will be July 14 from 10 am to 6 pm at Tom Ferone's shop.

Please post here to sign up for this workshop.

$10 shop fee and chip in on Pizza for lunch or go out to one of several places close by.

These are the names I have so far, please let me know if this is incorrect.

CarvedTones
Andy

KenOfCary
Ken

BWhitney
Bruce

eyekode
Salem

G_ville_worker e-mailed and can't make it.
Bryan

Ben325e
Ben

MarkDarby
Mark

Dreuxgrad
Ed

Last edited:
T

toolferone

Re: Date for Raleigh Sharpening and Handplane workshop

I am home most weekends. That being said I have a few weekends I can't;
6/23
6/30
7/28
8/4
8/25
9/8
Most of October will be out due to work events.
Hope this starts the ball rolling.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

I am interested, though I didn't vote in the original thread. 8/18 and 8/4 (shop crawl; already on Tom's list) are bad for me.

CatButler

New User
Bryan

I missed the original thread, but I would be interested. Just pick a date that works for you all. Most weekends this summer are open.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

I am available mostweekends for the foreseeable future and plan to attend. -Ken.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member

I’m not in Raleigh and I didn’t chime in on the original thread. That being said, I would like to suggest 7/7/2012 as a date, and I would love to attend if y’all will have a fayettevillian. ;-).:eusa_thin

T

toolferone

I would love to attend if y’all will have a fayettevillian. ;-).:eusa_thin

The more the merrier, even if you are from Fayetteville LOL! :)

eyekode

New User
Salem

Mike I would love to come! I have a wood plane i can bring for comparison. I also have a #8 that i think is a lost cause but would love you professional opinion :)
Let us know when you settle on a date.
Salem

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Salem, Is the casting broken? Does it need parts?

Everyone else... We usually have about ten in a workshop. Not having seen Tom's shop and not knowing how many work stations we will have room for, I have to rely on his opinion as to the number we can sign up. Ken will be learning to conduct the next workshop, hopefully that will be soon and I will be able to help him if he wants. So, if there is not enough room for this time that will be great and you will have first shot at the next one.

Please remember this is not show and tell, this is not a lecture, this is not a study group.

You should expect to work hard, take mental notes, develop muscle memory, sweat!, go home with every shop tool you brought in much better condition and know how to keep it that way.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

I’m not in Raleigh and I didn’t chime in on the original thread. That being said, I would like to suggest 7/7/2012 as a date, and I would love to attend if y’all will have a fayettevillian. ;-).:eusa_thin

My wife's birthday is that weekend. How about July 14th?

CarvedTones

Andy

Salem, Is the casting broken? Does it need parts?

Everyone else... We usually have about ten in a workshop. Not having seen Tom's shop and not knowing how many work stations we will have room for, I have to rely on his opinion as to the number we can sign up. Ken will be learning to conduct the next workshop, hopefully that will be soon and I will be able to help him if he wants. So, if there is not enough room for this time that will be great and you will have first shot at the next one.

Please remember this is not show and tell, this is not a lecture, this is not a study group.

You should expect to work hard, take mental notes, develop muscle memory, sweat!, go home with every shop tool you brought in much better condition and know how to keep it that way.

Are we to bring usable planes that don't need parts or extensive repair to fine tune, sharpen and use?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Bring planes ready to use, ready to restore, busted and only good for parts, your daily user that won't perform as you would like, something you picked up at a flea market and not really sure what it is, just don't bring a Groz.

eyekode

New User
Salem

The #8 has frog problems. Most notably I can't get the screw that holds the cap iron to turn and it is too loose.

Unfortunately my schedule is pretty unpredictable and can't truly comit until we get closer to the date. So I won't request a spot until I am sure I can make it.
Salem

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

If you can't make the workshop try to leave the plane with Tom. Worst case, we drill it out and retap the hole.

Meanwhile, let it soak in rust buster.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member

My wife's birthday is that weekend. How about July 14th?

July 14th is good for me. I have some planes that I need assistance/advice with. I also want to see how to sharpen some stuff. Thanks. . .

CarvedTones

Andy

So, is July 14th an actual plan? Can we start signing up? Do we need to bring anything besides the planes? It would be easy enough to bring a workmate or "work horse" (a bench top workmate mounted on a low bench; one of my most used work areas of late) if work surfaces are limited.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Yes, if that's OK with Tom we will make it officially July 14.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Bring whatever you normally use to sharpen your tools. Bring tools to sharpen.

Bring any busted tools you would like to donate for parts.

Bring any tools you would like to sell or give away.

Bring any tool you have questions about.

Bring large bags of cash. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS