show me your overhead (overdoor) storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Jay,

I have a very high ceiling in my garage as well. I decided to use a commercial wire shelving system to fill the space above the garage door. Don't know if this is what you are looking for but here goes. Good luck.

Attachments

• shelving.jpg
    shelving.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 218

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have installed the Hyloft system for some people. It seems to be a pretty nice system. I wouldn't recommend it for lumber storage if that is what you are planning.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Yes Jay, that is indeed the ClosetMaid garage shelving system. It is pretty indestructible. Depth seems ok at 16". I have the standards set at 12' apart over the door ('cuz that's how they set the studs), so it'll hold a freight train up there. Hope that helps. :-D

ajmtrader

New User
Tony
You should have no trouble finding wood to anchor to since the headers above the door behind the drywall is probably at least a 2x10 or 2x12. The frame on the sides is probably a 2x6 or 2x8. The header can hold a good amount of weight if anchored correctly.

DaveD

New User
Dave
I built a 4' deep shelf over the garage door by spanning the 21+ feet with a homemade beam made from two 2x10 with 1/2 plywood laminated between them. Added a ledger board to one side. Lots of liquid nails and 16 penny nails.

Beam was 4' in from garage door face. Made 'floor joists' out of 2x4 to go from beam, 16" oc. (resting on ledger board) to wall over garage door. Covered whole thing with 1/2" plywood.

That was 9 years ago. It is totally filled/packed (mostly 'junk') and to this day there is no noticeable sag in the homemade beam/shelf.

Fairly inexpensive, very strong and about 80 sq ft of storage space.

In a previous house I had I did something similar except across the back of the garage and the near edge was suspended from the ceiling joists on 3/4" threaded rod. This was a lower 4' deep shelf that was just high enough to get the car hoods underneath it.

If you do suspend something be sure that if you have ceiling trusses that you don't compromise the integrity of the trusses by hanging too much weight off of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors