Should we teach use of the hold down on scrollsaw?

Should we teach use of the hold down on scrollsaw?

• Yes - it's safer and will make the student more confident

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • No - we should teach what we really do

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Show it, explain whether or not we use it and let the student decide

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
The hold down is also a safety guard. I used it the first time I ever used a scroll saw, then removed it. My opinion is it should be in place, and let the operaror decide whether they want to use it or not. There are times when we let children try scroll sawing. I have actually been cut, not by the blade, but when a hardwood block with sharp corners caught while making a turn and pinched a finger. When I bought my Dewalt, used, there was not a hold down on it. Probably be best to lean toward the side of safety, but then that's just me sayin' ut not doin'.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good point - what makes sense could get trumped by what the lawyers say. Speaking of which, is someone working on a waiver for them to sign while their fingers are still attached?

Waivers are relatively meaningless. What is meaningful is we have purchased liability insurance.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Waivers are relatively meaningless. What is meaningful is we have purchased liability insurance.

insurance can be worthless as well if you are letting students use machinery without safety equipment in place. they can and do refuse to pay..... just sayin.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I do not use the hold down either :nah: For me it just gets in the way but I am also way beyond the beginner stage. while cumbersome it shouldn't have too adverse an effect as we are going to be doing very basic and simple things at first with a minimum of blade feed-through and fairly good sized areas to boot. Best if we teach with the gaurd in place IMHO. This will also allow us to use reverse-tooth blades which makes for a much cleaner cut on the back with little, if any clean up required to the cuts

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Being retired military, myself, you will find the Wounded Warriors will appreciate the safety first approach. The way soldiers are taught, is familiarize, safety considerations; lastly, operating instructions. And then you get to play with the equipment!:gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS