Shopsmith....worth it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
I just saw a shopsmith advertised in my area for $650 negotiable. Lady says she bought it from the original owner's son and it's in good shape. I already have a table saw, band saw, drill press and belt sander, so would likely just use it as a lathe. I don't know what a good price is for this nor do I know what it would cost to get a good new or used lathe. I've always thought the shopsmith was a neat idea, but have heard the loss of time in swapping out functions was the killer. Would a dedicated lathe be better than the shopsmith lathe ? I'm sure it depends on the bearings a lot.

Any advice or input is appreciated.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Since you already have the other tools I believe your best choice would be to buy a full size lathe.

The only way I would buy a Shop Smith is if I had nothing and only a very small space to work.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
The going price for a used Shopsmith is $500 unless there are An add on tool or two. (bandsaw, belt sander etc.) I was introduced to the Mark V Shopsmith by my 7th grade shop teacher. I've owned & repaired these machines for many years. I was for a few years the mentor for Shopsmith with the Charlotte Woodworkers. A few notes:
1- NEVER NEVER turn the speed dial with the machine not running. This will destroy the entire speed
chaining assembly rendering the machine useless.
2- The tool rest that comes with the new machine is NOT user friendly. But! Shopsmith sells one that is great for around $260. This makes the Shopsmith a real lathe. (photo)
3- Pressure is applied to spindle turning with the quill. The tail stock is ridge. This is a little troublesome, but you can get use to it.
4- Mike, cabinet shops snatch up used Shopsmiths like quick. That's the cheapest horizontal drill press around. The capacity is large and it does the job quite well.
attachment.php
Shopsmith # 55581 $259.19 + shipping

Pop
:thumbs_up

Attachments

• universal_tool_rest2.jpg
    universal_tool_rest2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Brent, I can see circumstances (limited workspace etc.) that warrant a ShopSmith or any Swiss Army knife.

But, if that’s not applicable to you, then I’m with Mike in suspecting that a dedicated lathe will likely be better at being just a lathe. Even if space was a limitation, some of the current Midi lathes are incredibly good. Significantly better than they were even just a couple years ago.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another thing to consider, and I, too was once hot & heavy for a ShopSmith, is that the spindle is compatible only with ShopSmith accessories. Therefore, additional chucks, etc. must be their brand or their knockoff competitor which I believe is called HomeShop.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Any one who offers a 5/8 in. set screw (Grizzly) chuck will fit a 5/8 in. Shopsmith spindle. There are several out there. Shopsmith charges lots for their products. There are a lot of products that work. Nova has a 5/8 in. plane boar adapter for Shopsmith.

Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors