These built-in features:
Table saw with tiny table, miter gauge and rip fence
Lathe with dead centers face plates, and low-quality chisels
Drill press/horizontal boring machine
Options
Bandsaw - 11" takes 72" blade up to 5/8" + 5 blades
12" Disc sander and 3" drum sander

There's a catch, though.
The 68-year old Gilmer belt finally snapped. I have a replacement belt, but it requires disassembling most of the drive head to replace it, and I just don't want to mess with it. There is a very good series of videos on Shopsmith maintenance on YouTube by Jacob Anderson that explains in detail how to do anything to a Shopsmith.

buckaroo

Buck
User
Anyone interested in a 1954 Shopsmith?
These built-in features:
Table saw with tiny table, miter gauge and rip fence
Lathe with dead centers face plates, and low-quality chisels
Drill press/horizontal boring machine
Options
Bandsaw - 11" takes 72" blade up to 5/8" + 5 blades
12" Disc sander and 3" drum sander

There's a catch, though.
The 68-year old Gilmer belt finally snapped. I have a replacement belt, but it requires disassembling most of the drive head to replace it, and I just don't want to mess with it. There is a very good series of videos on Shopsmith maintenance on YouTube by Jacob Anderson that explains in detail how to do anything to a Shopsmith.
Forgot to mention there is also an extension table, several table saw blades, Shopsmith arbors and 5/8" arbors.

NCsawdust

New User
TONY
Buck,
I run the 284th Mark 5 produced in March of 1954. I’ve replace. The Gilmer belt twice since it was never designed to take the torque that resawing on the band saw brings to it. That is why they redesigned the belt system (and a few other things) in 1970.

I would encourage you to try replacing the belt your self but make this one up grade your self while you have it apart. Later models have an access hole under the Cast logo on the rear. I cut my case to provide access during the replacement. With out this hole I haven’t figured out how they got the original belt on in the factory.

I don’t use it as a table saw because it is at a bad Hight for me but I have use most of the other features with success.

Radarbandit

New User
Ken
I was given a Mark V (I think it’s an early 70s model) by a friend who wanted it out of their garage. It needed work. The motor had to be rewound, it needed a new power cord and main drive belt. Nothing was sufficiently difficult to perform diy. ShopSmith has instructions available on their website to guide you though.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS